10 December 2005

"Are you sure you want to select this film?"

Last night was a late, late night where the 'nectar of the gods' wasn't as sweet as usual. So instead of another night out on the town with Michael, I decided to stay home tonight; it was time to log some serious hours on the couch where I wouldn't be surrounded by freshmen portfolios. With a light snow falling outside of my cozy apartment (and an adorable xmas tree), a movie was definitely in order. I don't live within walking distance of a Blockbuster, and I sure as hell wasn't going to dig the Prius out from under the now 4.6" of snow, which is now topped of with an inpenetrable blanket of ice and some more snow on top of that. It's complicated, and I was not up for tackling it tonight.

Thank god for Pay-Per-View, right? All I need to do is select a movie, warm up a Lean Cuisine meal (Santa Fe style rice and beans-- note to self: if I ever go to Sante Fe, don't order the rice and beans) and the fun can begin. I looked at the menu of options. Here is what I was faced with:
Herbie: Fully Loaded
Bewitched
Batman Begins
The Interpreter
House of Wax
Kicking and Screaming
various selections in the "girls gone wild" genre (or in AD, Girls With Low Self Esteem)
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

What to do? What to do? The only truly acceptable option on this list is Batman Begins. He's my favorite superhero. And if any girl is truly honest with herself, she'll tell you he is also her favorite. Hello? A rich guy with a sweet ride and tight black bodysuit- I'll take one of those! Plus that signal? How many guys do you know have a signal? I like how he whispers all the time, too. "I'm Batman." That's hot. I digress... Because he is my favorite superhero, I've seen it already and I wasn't going to pay $6.99 to see a movie I'd already seen once before.

So I did it. I selected Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. It was an honest mistake. I wanted something light- something that wouldn't require me to activate any brain cells. And when I selected this film, my TiVo asked "Are you sure you want to select this film?" This was my chance! My TiVo was offering me an out; "I've seen the kind of stuff you watch, Tara. You'll regret ordering this, Tara." I had an out and I didn't take it. I am ashamed of myself. I felt so dirty. And I took it to the next level while watching it. I was CRYING. Out loud crying, with awkward breathing patterns and tear stains on my pillow. If someone had walked in, he/she would have thought I just received news that someone very close to me was diagnosed with a grave, grave disease. No, not at all. I was just crying while watching movie starring 4 teenage girls. I wish I could say one of them reminded me of myself at that age, but I can't. There was not even a shadow of my former teenage girl self in any of these girls. I have no excuse for watching it, nor do I have any excuse for crying during it and even kind of enjoying it.

I need to go take a shower.

p.s. The Seinfeld is on where Jerry is trying to buy a car from Putty. High five! Classic.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian South said...

You've forgotten that House of Wax stars Elisha Cuthbert. Man, that Elisha Cuthbert...

And that, in general, Girls Gone Wild doesn't have any "pants" at all--traveling or otherwise.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home