26 January 2006

Oh yeah it's book club night...


I'm in a book club.

These 5 words were very hard for me to say out loud for the month that passed between being invited to be a member of a newly forming book club by a near perfect stranger and actually attending first book club meeting. In fact, even after that first meeting, I still wasn't confident that this was something I wanted to admit to being a part of. But within the first few months, when the membership was settled upon, it became something I looked forward to immensely. We meet monthly. It's been nearly 2 years since S invited me to be in the book club, and it really has been one of the best experiences of my adult life. The girl who hosts is the girl who picks the books. We've had some winners (Devil in the White City) and some losers (Late Bloomer- that girl got the boot), but no matter how good or bad the book is, we always have so much fun. That's because this isn't just book club-- it's 'book-tails' club, meaning everyone has to contribute an alcoholic beverage, which usually ends up being a bottle of wine. There are about 10 members total, and there are usually 1 or 2 that are absent each month- which means there's a lot of wine. We spend maybe 10 minutes talking about the book; the rest of the time is filled with gossip (provided by S, K, and K), sex talk (provided by me), complaining (provided by me, J and A), sarcasm and laughing- to which we all contribute. The interesting thing is that 10 years ago, I never could have imagined myself hanging out with any of these girls. Some would have been too proper, others too catty, but the whole lot of us together makes a really great mix. I'm not saying there aren't girls that I don't like or girls that annoy me; but all-in-all, I like this bunch. Every girl recognizes that she is required to put out a great spread; I think most of the members would agree though that mine is the best. I come from a family where there is food at every stage of entertaining, so the food I provide is always decadent. I'm not much of a cook, but when it comes to entertaining, I'll go all out so everyone leaves feeling guilty for having eaten too much of something that was likely very cheesy. All of the girls live in the city, so it's fun to see the apartments in the different neighborhoods from Bucktown to the South Loop.
Anyway, I'm beat. I had a couple glasses of pinot noir and I need to let that sink in while I drift off to sleep. Tomorrow's Friday! Yipeeeee!!!

ps: the above photo is not of a book club meeting; one of the girls got married and this photo was taken when half of us made it to her bridal shower (high tea at the Ritz- how classy!).

6 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

This post totally makes me want to move to Chicago and join a book club.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

I've always wanted to do something like that. Is it exclusive to women, or are there just no men interested?

I think I'm gonna read a book. From beginning to end. In that order. I've always wanted to do that. And I'm gonna play Frolf. Frisbee golf!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

If I didn't find most women's groups utterly boring to the point that I want to rip my own eyebrows off to stop the pain, I swear I'd join one.

But if a group existed that actually talked about books, I'd totally go.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

B- I suppose a man could join, but he'd probably have to be gay to enjoy it. Anyway, my gay roommate is lobbying to become a member. We'll see if he gets accepted. I'm also in a Frolf league. Did I mention that?

Lizzie- you should totally do that!

E- there's nothing boring about this group. but i admit that we don't talk as much about the book as we probably should. it also depends on the book, too. Sometimes we talk longer than others, but inevitably, the conversation always finds its way to the gutter.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

This is a life's stage thing, I think. Before I was married and had kids, I would have wanted less intellectual talk and more general hilarity.

Now I crave intellectual talk if I'm with adults, because I get so LITTLE adult time, and I don't want to squander it on shtick. I can get that commenting on blogs. :D

Also I feel really strongly about books and adore debating and discussing them. I'd be the downer chick at your party, making everyone stay (almost) on focus.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

PS: I am sure your group is lovely. I didn't mean to sound disparaging. I was thinking of my local women's groups (PTA, Junior League, etc).

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home