13 January 2006

Boo hoo!

Boy oh boy am I a tool! Sorry for my previous post where I felt sorry for myself all over cyberland. I should clarify a few things.
PK suggested that single female teachers are always sad. That might be true, but teaching is one thing that makes me happy. I can be really sad while I drive to work (weeping bitterly is how I described it one day), but then I'll get there and my mood improves. I love my goofy kids. They say funny things to me or do awkward things (usually the freshmen) and it cheers me up. So, while I might be sad often, it's not often that I'm sad at work or about work.
The great thing about this blog is that it reminds me about the good things in my life. I've been keeping a journal since I was young (I think I started my first "diary" in 3rd grade when Dominic told Roberta he liked her and not me). In every journal I have, I write the sad stuff. When things are going great for me, I write less, but when things are bad, I am the most prolific journal-er of all time. That means I have a dusty collection of spiral notebooks filled with lamentation, some trivial and of the Roberta-Dominic variety, others genuinely difficult and of the divorce variety.
When I created this blog, I didn't want it to be about the sad stuff, as I have a pretty accurate record of that already. I knew I would come across as a sad case because the people reading it would never see how much fun I can have, even if I do need the help of Pinot Grigio/Noir some of the time. I wasn't thinking that I'd have very many readers, but I knew I didn't want to whine to the ones I did have. So I make it a point to write about things I think of as funny or weird things that have happened to me. It's been really therapeutic. It has reminded me that my life isn't all bad. And it's probably more fun to read my posts when they are about overflowing toilets and evil substitute teachers.
Esbee said I don't strike her as a downer, and that's exactly how I want it to be on this blog. There is a part of my life where I am a downer. That part is supposed to remain private, and I let too much of it out last night in my boo hoo post.
Anyway, I logged on today expecting to see a big fat 0 when I looked at my comment section. It was nice to see that those of you that visited were nice enough to say something encouraging. Thanks, Southie, for offering me your ear this weekend. I am hoping I won't need it, but in case I do, get ready for some serious boo-hooing.
Incidentally, 20 other things (besides students) that make me happy, in no particular order:
1. Gianna, my niece
2. Rosa, my niece
3. My mom
4. My dad
5. My friends
6. When he is being good, my BF
7. My roommate, who is always always here for me
8. Shopping (hence the frozen credit cards)
9. A good pair of premium denim (again, the frozen credit cards)
10. Wine
11. Cheese
12. Wine and cheese together
13. Chocolate
14. Dice bouncing around in a plastic cup
15. Comments from people who read this shit
16. Nordstrom
17. Jon Stewart
18. Losing weight
19. A good deep v-neck black sweater
20. Music

5 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

You're entitled to be sad. I loathe blogs where the writer is always "on", painfully aware of his/her audience, tailoring every word to them. I'd much rather an honest "I had a crap day" post.

PS: Lest you think I don't have them, those are the days where my blogposts are distinctly dry. Not every dry blog day is bad - some are just dull - but others suck culo.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

culo. hi-larious.

thanks for the permission to be poopy. a sad post here and there is pretty much unavoidable so i'll take you up on it.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I'm a lady. I perpetuate this delusion by not cursing in English, because that just wouldn't be polite.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Brian South said...

I like lists of happy things

7:56 AM  
Blogger Bone said...

Jon Stewart. Yeah. He makes me happy, too :-)

aLsO, tYpInG lIkE tHiS.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home