07 January 2006

My Curse

Michael rented another movie tonight. I never rent movies. It's not that I don't like watching movies, but there are usually about 10 or 15 things I'd rather do instead. The stupid thing is that I typically like just about every movie I see, and I'm always glad I've decided to see a movie (because I only see movies I am certain I will like). Tonight, though, there aren't many things I feel like doing so I'm sitting in the same room while Michael watches Hide and Seek; I didn't say he rented good movies. Anyway, I particularly HATE thrillers/scary movies so I'm not going to actually watch the film, it's just on in the background while I blog about it and then read (ps I'm reading A Long Way Down, the new Hornby book, and I L-O-V-E it). I don't enjoy horror films. I'm not one of those people that gets a little charge out of a thriller and then goes home and forgets about it or maybe has a fun little nightmare. Nightmares aren't fun to me. I have enough of them, and frankly, I don't need any help from Hollywood in coming up with terrifying storylines to keep me up nights. Anywhoo, one thing I hate about watching movies is that I cannot watch them without constantly thinking, "Wait... is that the girl from that one movie, the one with the romance and the comedy?" Or "Wait, wasn't he on that one TV show that got cancelled after 2 episodes...". When I write "thinking" I really mean "saying" because I always ask these questions out loud to my film-viewing companion. This is annoying even for me, but imagine how annoying it must be for anyone insane enough to want to sit down with me and expect me to be quiet for the duration of a film. I simply can't watch a movie without trying to place every character in the film. I do this with television, too, even commercials sometimes. It's a curse- an annoying one. So I'm sitting here, half watching this (horrifying) movie, and trying to place every person I see, much to the dismay of Michael, who looks a little annoyed. So far I've placed Amy Irving as the woman in Micki and Maude, a movie from 1984. I also placed the sheriff as the creepy dad in Happiness, a quirky film from the late 90s (a good one). There are many other people to place, so I need to publish this and get back to annoying my roommate.

7 Comments:

Blogger Brian South said...

Wow. Tara: can we watch a movie together sometime? It sounds like fun.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Get in line, buddy.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I do that too, only I stink at remembering names. Not just actors' names but characters and movies as well. So I say things like, "Look! It's whatsherface from that movie! The one with that man! you know! She played whoosiedoosie!"

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have trouble remembering actors (or their characters) in films, or previous appearances they made in other motion pictures, commercials, television shows, etc. And I never mind people asking those important questions while I am enjoying any said entertainment. Or even independent of any said entertainment. I have had people call me randomly, pose the question and hang up immediately following my answer, with no further use for my attention. I don't mind. What I do hate is when I know the actor/character in question, but can't get the words out of my mouth. Those pickles haunt me all day. I'll watch a movie with you anytime, Tara--it will be double the pleasure.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

"The stupid thing is that I typically like just about every movie I see, and I'm always glad I've decided to see a movie..."

I'm the same way. Went to the theater exactly two times in 2005. I don't like the idea of committing two hours of my life to something. But I almost always enjoy them.

I'm no good at actors/actresses either. I can't remember lines from movies, or even what happens unless I see them like five times.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Oh Esbee, I am famous for that- especially with music. I have an ex who is a music genius. I'll call him and be like "what's that one song. It goes "dananana na na na" and it's by that one band with the guy? he hates it.

Bone, 2 hours commitment is too much for you. Let me guess... you single? The second I leave a movie theatre, the movie is almost completely erased from my memory. Same with books. Not Seinfeld though. Or Arrested Development. That useless knowledge is in the vault.


anon- If you aren't the ex I referred to in esbee's post, then you are certainly my anonymous college friend J. Right?

4:11 PM  
Blogger DLH said...

That's me! that's me!! Holy crap. I drive my husband INSANE. It gets to the point where I even glance at him and he knows what I am about to state/ask and says in an I-can-barely-tolerate-this-anymore voice, "Yes, it's him/her," with a small sigh attached.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home