28 December 2005

Does this look like Inner Peace to you?


I have nothing to write about, so I'll write about something that's been bugging me since early September.

As a Chicagoan, I feel I have to keep tabs on Ms. Oprah Winfrey's show. I TiVo it, but I rarely watch it. Frankly, I got tired of showing up to work and hearing all the women I work with saying, "Oh my god! Did you see Oprah yesterday?" Feeling hopelessly left out of these conversations and desperately looking for an "in" with these suburban mommy types, I decided it could only advance my career if I TiVoed Oprah so I could be prepared with my 2 cents when these discussions arise. So Oprah had Jennifer Aniston on for her debut episode for the new season. I think the idea was that Ms. Aniston, after having gone through a particularly public and humiliating divorce, would finally "tell all" about the sticky situation created by "Brangelina" (I think I just made that up). She might cry, right? She might slip and call him a cheating scumbag whore, right? Now THIS is must-see TV right? I've always kind of liked Jennifer Aniston, so when her named popped up on TiVo's synopsis of the Oprah recording, I decided to watch it. As a divorcee myself I was prepared for a good old fashion bitch session. Granted, my divorce wasn't nearly as public, but I certainly know the sting of a failed marriage, even if I might not have been in the same Manolos as Ms. Aniston. I was mistaken, and I grossly overestimated the down-to-earth appeal I thought "Jen" had. This woman sat up there and tried to convince the viewers that she had what she called "inner peace." I think she actually said something about how YOGA gave her INNER PEACE. And here's all I'm saying: This woman was cheated on. Not cheated on like her husband was fucking the secretary and she found a pair of unfamiliar CZ earrings in the glovebox of the Camry. No, it was much worse than that. Her husband, who is widely considered the hottest man in Hollywood, cheated on her with Angelina FUCKING Jolie, who is widely considered the naughtiest, sexiest, freak in Hollywood. To make matters worse, these claims of inner peace come when there are more photos in the tabloids of Aniston and Vince Vaughn smoking, drinking and making out than there are photos of celebrity cellulite! That's not inner peace! That's the definition of a HOT MESS! I would have loved it if she got up there looking a little disheveled- maybe a little drunk, maybe a little strung out. I wanted to see her smoking on Oprah's flashy new set like Dean Martin would have on The Tonight Show when Carson was hosting it. Instead she went up there looking all "at peace" with the unfortunate turn her marriage took. I don't care how much yoga a woman does, the debacle that was her marriage has got to leave a mark. Even if that mark is the hickey your drunk fat boyfriend Vince left on your neck the night before, there damn well better be a mark.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

I haven't watched Oprah in at least four years. I just can't do it. The same way you want to see JA disheveled and such, I want to see Oprah that way. I want her stylist, chef, and trainer to walk out on the same day. I want to see what her makeup looks like if she puts it on herself. I want to see how her hair comes out when she has to comb the back of it herself. I want to see what she rustles up for dinner when nobody's around to do it for her. And I don't want any Dr. Phil talking her through it, either.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I love this idea. This would be an excellent idea for an Oprah show. Why don't you go to her website and propose that for next year's season opener?

8:09 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

1. I never thought of Chicagoans being loyal to Oprah, but I guess it makes perfect sense; and

2. I think she can take comfort in the fact that her ex-husband got weird at the exact moment of their break-up. There's a certian amount of comfort in knowing that you got the best years out of someone. I think that's part of the reason why Nicole Kidman goes to sleep smiling every night.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Brian South said...

1. "HOT MESS"--I'm going to start saying this on a regular basis.

2. Nicole Kidman is fucking gorgeous. What a HOT MESS!

3. Tara, do you believe we have to go back to work on Tuesday? I think I've forgotten how. I wonder if I can get through another semester without TOTALLY losing myself (like last semester). Maybe blogging will help.? I like blogging. I think I'll just blog everything that happens at work in my head, so I won't have to deal with it myself, but rather through my blog. Is that bad? I should just stop caring, like you. Or have absolutely nothing bother me, like Gino. Or be extremely genuine and want to make a difference, like Steve. Hmm. Spin the wheel, I suppose. Damn altruism. I'm not going to your NYE party unless you put The Captain's button up. Period. I don't care if you're the least tech-savvy TIS in the history of the position; the instructions are right there on the fucking webpage. Do it. Or no Brian/Dana at NYE. You decide.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Oprah has done episodes before showing what it takes to get her looking like her everyday. Let me tell you, that woman looks a hot mess without any makeup on or her hair done.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

BI: Hmmm....should I be offended by this "I guess it makes perfect sense" comment?

South: You asshole:
A: I haven't stopped caring. That makes it sound like I hate my job. I love my job and I think I'm good at it. I just don't let it ruin my life like some teaachers I know. There are much bigger problems in my life and in this world than "oh no! I have 60 essays to grade." Teachers seem to have a hard time keeping these things in perspective.
B: I went on the captain's site and tried to DL his button. I use snapfish and one of the instructions you gave me does not seem to work with that particular host.
So I want you to come to my party but if you are going to be ... ahem... CONDESCENDING then maybe you should just tell Dana and his friends to come. See, this is one of those times where I promised you I would tell you about how you were being condescending. There, I told you.
HB: I have totally seen those episodes. It is frightening.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

"Brangelina" - good one, Tara! I bet it's gonna catch on. I'll cite you every time I say it though.

I didn't see this episode of Oprah (I think you know how I feel about her), but I thought I heard that Jen actually did get a little tipsy during the show - that she was guzzling the champagne.

Don't knock inner peace though. I've been going through a rough patch the last 2 months and have finally found inner peace. Of course, I call it by it's other name -pinot grigio- but whatever.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Brian South said...

Yo Tara, I didn't mean that you don't care if you teach well or not; I meant that you don't care about the stress--you don't worry about what other teachers think, and that totally rocks. The dept can be so judgemental at times, but you seem to be able to deal with it really well. You're very able to say "Fuck it" when the shit piles up, and I want to be able to do that, too.

As for The Captain's button, sign up for photobucket--it takes like two seconds. You won't regret it!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Ok, Brian. I forgive you. Thank you.

Someone stopped by the Captain's blog and invited him to a New Year's Eve party. I wonder who that was?

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Southie, I am gathering from your posting that you are a teacher, maybe even an English teacher.

Can you please review the spelling of the word "judgemental?"

Oprah deserves an episode of South Park like the Barbra Streisand one. The lady does some great things, but my God, how much fuller of herself can she possibly get?

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home