26 December 2005

Family game night with the dagos...


I've spent more time commenting on other people's blogs than writing comment-worthy posts of my own. Above you will see a picture of Millennium Park in Chicago. I have been engaged in an ongoing Chicago v. New York debate with Lizzie. Once a New Yorker as made up her mind about it being better than Chicago, there's no convincing her otherwise, even if she is so obviously wrong. It's okay; I'm used to that. I kind of like being the underdog city anyway. It keeps us grounded.

Christmas was interesting as always. My Italian family is, well, loud. After the Bears game ended, instead of staring at each other around our dining room table for 3 more hours, cutting in half Fannie May candies to find one worth the calories, we decided to try something new this year; we decided to attempt playing Cranium as a family. When I say "as a family" I know most readers picture a few people around a table quietly trying to decipher if their teammate is sculpting a white picket fence or an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie out of the purple clay provided by the makers of Cranium. Those readers would be inaccurate in assuming my family was engaged in any activity even remotely resembling this stereotypical American family game night. Here's how it really went in my family. There were about 13 of us crowded around a small coffee table (admittedly not the ideal number of people nor the ideal surface on which to play such a game), only 3 of whom actually had ever played Cranium. A couple additional people floated in an out of the game, making keeping score particularly challenging. My uncle didn't have his reading glasses on him, but that didn't stop him from trying to be the reader for every turn. Believe it or not, all of these elements would have been tolerable, were it not for the fact that my brother-in-law was on my team, and he had just finished a freshly opened bottle of pinot noir. Our opponents were an assortment of cousins, aunts and uncles, none of whom are familiar with the concept of "inside voices" so there was a lot of yelling, hands flailing and cursing. My brother-in-law and I have a bit of a checkered past, so I should have known our role as teammates would have an ugly ending. When it was our turn, I was charged with spelling 'delicious' backwards. I happen to be quite a good speller, both forwards and backwards (while sitting in traffic, I often challenge myself to spell words backwards- and since I spend a good 2 hours/day in my car, I've become quite proficient in spelling things backwards). However, my weakness has always been in spelling the -ion, -ous and pys- words backwards. I got it wrong and my brother-in-law proceeded to chide me with insults like, "You can't even spell! And you call yourself and English teacher?" This is my biggest pet peeve- this idea that because I am an English teacher, I must know ALL about language. What? Because I am an English teacher, I have to be able to spell EVERY SINGLE WORD in the English language- not just FORWARD but BACKWARD as well? People do this all the time. Do math teachers have to deal with this? Like, when the bill comes at dinner, if it takes the math teacher a few minutes to figure out the exact amount of money owed by each diner, does she hear, "And you call yourself a MATH TEACHER? JEEZ!" How about PE 'teachers.' Or Science teachers? Or are English teachers the only one subjected to this type of ridicule? If I had known this would be my lot, I would have chosen to cut hair for a living, a job at which, frankly, I'd be making more money than I am now. Although, that would make a bad hair day particularly challenging. "And you call yourself a hair stylist? Look at that mop on top of your head!"

I think I have a ghost, and that ghost has a small bladder. Several times/day, my toilet starts running even though no one has used it. Also, I often hear the sound of someone peeing when there is clearly no one peeing my bathroom. Let's hope this ghost doesn't get cute and expect me to spell anything backwards because I'm just touchy enough where I'll have to box its ass if it stumps me.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

This is why I have chosen to be unemployed- no one expects me to do anything well. I never disappoint.

I have a ghost too, but it just smokes in my bathroom, doesn't do anything else. My bathroom always smells like cigarettes but I don't smoke. It drives me crazy.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

NY isn't as cool as Chicago.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Brian South said...

What is a "PE teacher"?

3:14 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Balderdash. That's the game for teachers and drunks.

I've never been to Chicago, but I hate NYC on principle.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

Tara- I couldn't find the question you referred to on my blog. Was it the 7 things one? If so, I did it! It was fun!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

That'll do, Lizzie. I did forget to do the 7 things I can't do. Here they are....
1. Turn down a cookie
2. Go 10 minutes without peeing if I'm within 10 feet of a toilet
3. Avoid impure thoughts
4. Make decisions
5. Drive the speed limit
6. Stop watching Seinfeld
7. Stop playing with my hair

I had asked a question in the comments section where you were asking me what my favorite Seinfeld was. I don't even remember what it was anymore- maybe something about your trip to Haiti? Anyway, I'm glad you participated in this. Why do our ghosts both linger in our bathroom?

Brian, that's why I wrote PE "teacher." Notice the quotes. I did that for your benefit.

And thank you all for your support on the NYC v. Chicago debate. I think we can all safely say I've won this debate. ;)

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tara, you got an unprecedented volume of hits to your page Monday, 12/26. . . Was it because of this posting? What kind of advertising did you do? People sure were interested in your Christmas. . .

7:18 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

anonymous- is this my anonymous college friend- whom I've identified as Janiel? I'm not sure why I got an unprecedented number of hits. I was online a lot the other day and commenting on other bloggers pages, so that's probably why. whomever this is, college girl or not, I'm really glad you read my blog. Especially if you are one of my college friends because it is nice to know one of you enjoys reading it (besides Michael who is a regular reader)

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You previously identified me as Nancy, not Janiel. I've pimped your site out to some of my friends at work, so hopefully the hits will just keep on coming. . . Do I get a commission on this?

8:05 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

but now i know you are janiel because i checked my stats and i have a lot of hits coming from milwaukee. thanks for coming to my blog and for pimping it out to your friends at work!

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home