30 December 2005

"Hi I'm Tara... and I'm a shopoholic"

If ONLY I had a digital camera. This story would be so much better because the visual of it REALLY drives home the point that I have issues with shopping.

Someone once told me that freezing your credit cards was a guaranteed way to stop the insanity. So, I took my AMEX card (the Blue one, not the Gold one) and froze it. This involved putting water in a sandwich bag and then inserting my credit card in it. I have to say, it looks pretty adorable, kind of like the dice boucing in a cup (see below). Anyway, the idea here is that if my credit cards are frozen I won't be able to make any impulse purchases because I'll have to wait for them to THAW before making said purchases. I should probably put my Nordstrom and Bloomies charge cards in there as well, but I don't want to get carried away here. What if I have an emergency? Anyway, this seemed like a great plan until I realized that there are at least two ways around this, and a third in-a-pinch option:
1. Run the bag under hot water while I put my coat and shoes on.
2. If shopping online, read the credit card number through the bag.
3. The in-a-pinch-option is to crush the ice with an ice pick, ala Basic Instinct, and make a bee line for the Mag Mile.

I have a sneaking feeling that this plan isn't going to work.

http://therealpeterman.blogspot.com/2005/12/real-challenge-here-is-five.html

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian South said...

I like your emergency link. Mine would probably be for Elisha Cuthbert's homepage (in case she came by looking for someone to go to the mall with).

8:21 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

This is hysterical! The image of you going all Basic Instinct is too much.

You could do what I do... I only have one credit card with a low limit ::gasp!::

12:51 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I won't wear any shoe I can't run after a three year old in. I also won't wear any shoe called by a woman's name, a la The Marjorie has a sensible crepe sole and manmade uppers, available in taupe and ecru.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I'm glad you enjoy my pain, Lizzie. I have to work on the credit card thing. I smell a new year's resolution! My roommate saw the amex in the freezer, and he was baffled. I told him I didn't know how it got there. He's still really confused. I think I'll keep this going for a while.

Esbee, I have the exact opposite approach to footwear. I won't wear any shoe that allows me to run after a 3-year-old. This way, if I see one, I don't have to chase him when the ADD kicks in and he starts running around. "Did you see these heels I'm wearing? As if I'm going to be able to catch that kid in these pumps!"

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home