18 January 2006

"Comic Sans is for idiots!"

In my line of work, we focus on goals. The goals we are given are usually something like this...
"Student will be able to write in the transactional, literary and expressive modes."
So I've decided to set some goals for myself.

1. Person will be able to reserve judgement regarding the font choices of others (especially when "others" is a really nice person sitting 5 ft. away).
2. Person will be able to resist Nordstrom, premium denim and expensive footwear.
3. Person will be able to use under 1000 minutes on her cell phone.
4. Person will be able to resist hummus, pizza and other foods that hinder her ability to reach other goals such as #5.
5. Person will be able to fit in that adorable little black dress from 5 years ago sitting in the back of her closet that she wants to wear to a March wedding.
6. Person will be able to employ self-censorship techniques when she hears people say something like "My fiance and I went house hunting in the suburbs this weekend."
7. Person will be able to write well in any mode.
8. Person will be able to go to the gym 4 times/week.
9. Person will be able to avoid comparing herself to every female she meets.
10. Person will be able to forgive herself for her past transgressions.
11. Person will be able to learn from those past transgressions.
12. Person will be able to ignore late-night phone calls from angry exes.

It's a start. I tend to do pretty well at helping my students achieve goals at school. If not, at least I give it a try. If I put half the effort into my own well being as I do into my student's achievement, I might be okay.

7 Comments:

Blogger Brian South said...

You should DEFINITELY blog about the Comic Sans story!

GODDAMNIT, I wish I had my camcorder for those 20 minutes...

5:26 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

When you achieve numbers 10 and 11, will you let me know? I could use some pointers.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

i wouldn't wait on me to conquer 10 and 11, but if i ever do, i promise to tell you how i did it.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Hummus is bad for you?? I eat it everyday with carrots!

And I totally agree with pk, walk past gym and look inside the window. That's how I started. Forgive others past transgressions, would be more like, think about that person without first thinking awful thoughts of their untimely death.

Baby steps.

6:04 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Why would you want to ignore late night phone calls from angry exes? Isn't it easier (and more fun) to just say something like, "Hey, who's this? Oh, hey . . . hold on a sec, I've got to stop having sex so I can hold the phone. Hold on."

11:53 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

PK- I'm awesome at baby steps. Like, "person will be able to resist Nordstrom... today.... but there are no guarantees that person will be able to resist Nordstrom tomorrow."

Heather B- I wrote forgive "MYSELF" for past transgressions. Forgiving others of past transgressions is not an option. If I can't fogive myself, what makes anyone think I'm going to forgive anyone else. Hummus isn't bad for you if you eat it in small amounts, just like anything. So you're probably safe, Ms. I-accidentally-lose-weight-when-others-are-gaining-it.

BI: Ouch. Suprisingly, I don't think I can be that mean. I'd rather just shut my phone off and pretend it's not happening.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

My goal this year is to be able to let expressed idiocy stand unchallenged unless it is some way impacts my family's, or a child's, life.

Think the President's a fine fellow? Fine. I disagree, but this year, I aim not to say so.

Think antioxidents cause cancer?
Be my guest. Mum's the word.

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home