27 January 2006

A simple request

I leave for work at an hour that most people would consider ungodly early. On a good day, I'm on the road by 5:45; on a bad day, it's 6:10. Usually it's somwhere in between. I see some interesting people on the road. The most common one is the car-full of latin men. It's always an early model American car of some kind, typically a Buick or Ford. And there are never fewer than 4 guys in the car. I noticed something today that I would NOT allow if I were the driver of this car. The guy driving was doing what all of us were doing- sitting in traffic on the Eisenhower "Expressway". Yes, even at 6:00 in the morning, The Ike is slow. His passengers, however, were all sleeping. This is as gross an injustice as I can imagine. The poor sucker in the front, who was the only one responsible enough to come up with enough dough to buy a car, is the only one who doesn't get that coveted extra 45 minutes of sleep that we early commuters all long for. If I were a person that was lucky enough to carpool with people, I would have very strict rules about being a member of my posse. The most important one would be NO ONE sleeps. This doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If I'm nice enough to haul your ass around, you'd better keep me busy. This sleeping while someone else is driving strikes me as the most insensitive thing in the world. Are you, sleepy passenger, the only one that would prefer to be in your cozy bed? No, of course you aren't. Every sad bastard in this early model Buick Century would rather be at home. But none of us are. So none of us is going to pretend otherwise.
The other thing I see on the road all the time are trucks driven by gross truck drivers who like to stare at me in my car and then make obscene gestures at me. I've been hit on while driving more than anyone you know. One time, a guy in a truck pulled up next to me and drove even with me for just long enough that I looked over at him. He made a gesture at me that said, "Hey! Nice rack!" I'm not kidding. He did that thing you do when you are trying to tell your friend on the other side of the room that some girl has big boobs (followed by a 'thumbs up' which is what leads me to believe he liked my rack). You know, you hold your hands out a few inches from your chest, making it look like someone's boobs stick out "that far." He was old too- probably like 60. It was awful. I've learned my lesson. I know better than to make eye contact with men in trucks now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

It's safe again once you have kids, because your kids will be making the trucker sign for "Honk!", and they will need you to catch the trucker's attention.

We once amused ourselves by searching for a correlation between which truckers honked and the make of trucks they drove. We killed a good four hours of interstate driving that way.

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home