28 February 2006

An apology

Dear readers:

This Oprah essay contest thing seems to have gotten me into some hot water. After participating as a grader in this contest wherein students were asked to write about the book "Night," I criticized writers from a certain portion of the US (a certain half of it technically). I feel these few posts have unfairly tarnished my otherwise spotless reputation in the blogosphere, especially to these new readers who found me via a desperate google search to find out when the winner of the Oprah essay contest would be revealed. The posts they read were, unfortunately, written after hours and hours of reading essays, not all of which were terrible, and so I was feeling particularly snarky. My fear is that they will go back to their high school counterparts and talk about the awful teacher from Chicago they found on the internet who hates children, especially those from the South. That's simply not true. And if you were one of the unfortunate Southern writers who submitted a crappy essay that I had to read, that's okay. If you were in my class, which, let's face it, you probably would be, I'd love you anyway. I love all my students, even the ones that are shitty writers. In fact, I submit that shitty writers are more rewarding to have in class than grade-grubbing geniuses who think they know everything there is to know about the craft of writing.

As for my opinion on the South as a whole, it's not really my speed, but I've heard great things about it. Hell, as a kid I vacationed in the South every damn year of my life. *I'm a Yankee to the bone, but I'm sure the South is lovely in some ways as well.

Sincerely,
Tara


* and so begin the google hits about boning members of the NY Yankess

11 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Did you know I started another blog about life in my Southern city? Kid you not. It rocks here, y'all. =)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Well, let's just say your first experience with National exposure was not good, but I think you saved face with your apology. Maybe controversy is good for readership . . . Come to my site where I will offend entire regions of the country! I will get more readers and take the heat off of poor Tara.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Esbee- I'll have to take a look at that for some sensitivity training regarding my Southern neighbors' lives.

Dr.K- :) I'll be sure to direct all traffic in your direction.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

Should I be offended? So because of a few bad apples, you're impugning an entire region?

:)

9:21 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

NO, BONE!! No bad apples! No impugning! I love the South! And people from the South! I might ask Southie to marry me just so I can have "South" in my last name!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

Tara Southie... hmm... pretty.

Maybe all this brouhaha will actually get you on Oprah! I wonder if she'd hang you out to dry like she did James Frey though.

btw, I came here by way of a google search. So where are the stories about boning members of the NY Yankees?

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a sellout/copout to me...the Chicago girl could not take the heat so she turns "politically correct" Since when does a red state/s deserve such homage?

10:48 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I followed you from Bone's blog and have been catching up on some of your posts.Even for a self-admitted "liberal" person, your teaching standards are much appreciated by this former home school mom. It is refreshing to see a teacher actually care about student choices and irresponsible parenting.

If you'd like to farm out some of your work, please visit www.sconeat12.blogspot.com. She is my sister and a freelance editor.Most recently, she was the Senior Managing Editor of SQL Server Magazine. She can relate to the woes of chasing bad grammarians.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I'd like to see anon boned into a state of redness.

Is that a good example of Southern writing? Check one.

[] Yes
[] No
[] You win a spa robe!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Ouch, anon. I don't like to think of it as selling out, I like to think of it as diplomacy.

Checked the site meter, and I have been getting hits from within Harpo these past few days. Esbee, you might be getting that spa robe after all!

Surrenderdorothy- Thanks for stopping by, although I am going to have to come up with a shortened version of your name if you stop by again (SD maybe?). I think most teachers do care about irresponsible parenting if for no other reason than we have to deal with the consequences of it. I care a lot about my kids, and I hate thinking of them doing things that can get them hurt or in trouble. I am happy to report, though, that the parents who sponsor drinking and sex events are in the minority, at least in my district.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Brian South said...

Stop saying my name, goddammit. It's confusing me.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home