21 February 2006


Southie says my posts are too long. So here's one for you, South.

Above you will see a picture of the logo for the Torino Olympics. I hate the Olympics. BOO OLYMPICS!!

I sat on the couch and graded all night. My roommate is never home even when he's not working, so I get plenty of quiet time to do my grading. I did have the games on for background noise, but only because I knew I'd have no trouble ignoring it so I could concentrate on my student work. I especially hate ice dancing. We watched a little of it the other night, and the most entertaining part was the clumsiness of the sport. People were falling lefty righty, and somehow the rumba and the samba just don't look nearly as electric on the ice. The judges kept complaining about how certain couples were lacking sexual energy. Who knew sexual energy was a requirement for an Olympic event? That's some crazy shit. And how the hell does a woman manage to give the image of feeling sexual energy with a gay man? I don't want to stereotype, but let's be honest here- male figure skaters aren't known for their mojo. It just doesn't seem fair to expect that of them. They're ice skaters, not actors.

I'm having one of those days where I am coming down from the high of having time with my BF. He's back to work now so I'm sad again, making this short post even easier to accomplish.

11 Comments:

Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

those judges need sex? maybe? or what's the deal>

12:13 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

I hate the Olympics too. Couldn't they at least put them on ESPN or something? My favorite shows are on NBC.

(Actually, one thing about the Olympics interests me - that fight between the 2 American speed skaters. I don't know the story or anything but I know I am firmly on the side of the black guy. I feel very strongly about it. The white guy looks smarmy to me.)

I always thought ice dancing was just for those who weren't good enough skaters to do all the fancy stuff the real ice skaters do.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I hate the Olympics since they split them. When I was growing up, they were only on every four years. Now it's every two years, just the events change. It's too much. And I was only mildly interested back then.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I'm on neither speed skaters' side. They both should have left that crap out of the press conferences and settled it like gentlemen. They reminded me of the middle school girls I work with.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

Doc- settle it like gentleman... You mean like a duel? ;-)

I don't even really know what they're fighting about. I haven't been following it. But the black guy looks sweet and the white guy looks like an asshole. That's all the info I need to choose sides.

Although, having said I haven't really followed it, I thought I heard that the white guy has been the one that's speaking to the press more about it. I don't know. Just thought I heard that.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I think they're both candy-assed, panty waists, but if I HAD to pick a side I'd take the Black guy too cause he's from Chicago, and I agree that the white guy is a little smarmy.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Are you both being asshats, or did I miss something else?

I like to come to this blog daily so I can remind myself how culturally irrelevent I am.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

I'm not being an asshat... or at least not intentionally so. I'm seriously on the black guy's side. I feel sorry for him because he looks like a sweet guy and the white guy is being mean to him.

Is it racist to keep referring to them as the white guy and the black guy? I don't know their names and the only other information I know about them - that they're American speed skaters - doesn't allow me to distinguish between them.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

p.s. if I wanted to be an asshat, I would have said:

Tell us about the olden days when the Olympics were every 4 years instead of every 2 years.

;-)

2:43 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

No, I mean again I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about. Who's "the black guy" and why is he angry at "the white guy"?

I feel a little bit like Helen Keller. I JUST WANT TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR WORLD!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Talk amongst yourselves.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home