04 February 2006

Conspiracy theory debunked

So I am doing Weight Watchers. I was doing it all online until one of the girls in my book club said that she was also doing Weight Watchers. I asked her if she'd like to start going to meetings with me because I've heard that people who go to the meetings have more success than those that try to do it independently. We agreed to attend meetings on Thursday nights together. The first thing you do when you get there is weigh in. This meeting stuff to me feels very much like AA, so the weighing in part is the AA equivalent of doing a breathalizer test upon arrival. Anyway, I knew this would happen so I ate very little that day in preparation for the dreaded weigh-in. I stepped on the scale and it was 8 lbs higher than the two scales I've been using since I started doing this on Jan 1. I looked at the bloated (pun intended) figure on the scale and I informed the girl that this figure could not possiblly be correct. And I just know she was thinking "Sure fat girl, that's what they all say." But I was certain I had exposed some sort of Weight Watchers conspiracy to use inaccurate scale to keep members going to the meetings just a little bit longer. I also started calculating the weight of my clothes, watch and glasses, which I concluded could be not anywhere near 8 lbs. I wore a lightweight shirt, my summer weight denim (which are more like denim sweatpants now that I've lost some weight) and no underwear (because you know how heavy underwear can be) so I knew it was time to start uncovering the conspiracy. The investigation started the next day when I went to the nurse's office to use her scale; I was certain that my suspicions would be confirmed. The only thing that was confirmed was that I am 8 lbs worse off than I thought. Brian and Dana walked me down to the nurse's office and seemed to take great pleasure at the horror on my face when I emerged from the privacy of the scale room. I was pretty depressed for the first day or so, but I'm getting over it. So I have 8 more lbs to lose than I thought. What the hell difference does it make? None really.
It's the BFs birthday this weekend. We went to Wildfire last night with a couple of his friends to celebrate, and we will hang out tonight too. Wildfire is an anomoly. It's part of the Lettuce Entertain You restaurant group, which is a group of quality restaurants primarily located in the Chicagoland area, but with a few locations in places like Vegas and Arizona. The restaurants in the chain are very popular. There are Asian places, American, Italian... you name it. Wildfire though is far and away the best of the group, and pretty much the only one I go to unless I'm with a group of people who suggest going to one. I live in Chicago, which has better restaurants than just about anywhere in the country so there's really no need to go to chains. I ordered a chicken sandwich. It was small and I got full more quickly than ever, which is good. I even requested they hold the fries and ordered broccoli instead. Now that I have to weigh in every week at weight watchers, I'm more motivated than ever to lose every week. I want them to scold me for losing weight too quickly, which is what happens every time I log my weight online (apparently 2.5 lbs/week is too high. Please!).
I promise not to write anymore weight loss posts. That is, of course, until I get to my goal weight, which won't be a post as much as a picture of me in that black dress in my closet that is the motivation for this endeavor.

show: What Not To Wear- some 35-year-old that dresses like a total whore (the usual)

4 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

Good luck reaching your weight loss goal!

I don't trust scales. Recently one told me that I weigh 94 pounds. I can assure you, I am NOWHERE near that. I am well on the healthy side of triple digits.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

You wore denim sans lingerie? On purpose?

7:48 PM  
Blogger Brian South said...

Knowledge is dangerous, especially when scales are involved.

Hope you and Kenny had fun tonight. I ended up having a pretty good time, despite your absence.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Esbee- I washed the denim- yesterday in fact. I just couldn't risk that extra oz of weight.

Lizzie- where did you find that scale?

Brian- glad you had fun. Kenny wanted to go actually, but again, relationship Tara and Independent Tara are not ready to merge.

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home