29 January 2006

poo poo pants

So my BF goes back to work tonight. My BF being on vacation is the biggest treat I get outside of myself being on vacation- maybe bigger. That's because he's a cop, and he works midnights- 11pm to 7am. If he were a cop that worked days, that would be difficult enough because, strangely, being a cop on the West Side of Chicago is stressful and takes a toll. But since he works midnights, it's even worse. Plus, his week is not a Mon-Fri week. He works 6 days, then he has two days off. The two days off change each week. So he'll be off Mon, Tues. Then the next week he'll be off Tues, Wed. And so on. When he finally does get to the point where he has an actual weekend off, he is off for three days straight- Fri, Sat, Sun one week, and then Sat, Sun, Mon the following week. Those are my favorite two weeks. Those two weekends straight of Tara/BF time are hard enough to rebound from, so you can only imagine how hard it is to cope with his routine after a 20-day straight vacation. Because then the routine starts all over again. Where we see each other only 2 times each week. Sometimes we'll see each other two times and then one more time when he comes over after his shift ends at 7:00 in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday. But that's no fun. I'm just waking up, his day is ending, it's only a few hours anyway... it's downright sucky.

It was so nice being able to see him a few nights each week and for multiple hours at a time while he was on his vacation. We didn't go anywhere or really do anything special. He's 10 years older than me, and going to bars and getting wasted isn't really his thing. Also, he's much more conservative with his money (and everything else) than I am, so we don't go to fancy restaurants or go away on long weekends together, even when we do have the time to do so. Sometimes I wish he were more like me in his willingness to throw money away, but mostly I like how it is enough to sit on the couch and alternate between watching TV, napping, and whatever else I can seduce him into doing with me.

Of course, I signed up for this. I knew he was a cop when I met him- it was hard not to notice since he was directing me across the street in his (hot) uniform at the time (he's not a traffic director anymore- that was during the time when he was in training and he was on the traffic rotation). And let's just say our relationship got off to a rocky start. * So it shouldn't be a surprise to me when I go days without seeing him. And it shouldn't be a surprise to me when he's cold or distant. But sometimes it's hard to get used to. Like tonight when I am sitting on the couch alone, my roommate on a plane to Florida for a 10-day vacation, and all I really want is someone to cuddle with when I get into bed (not that my roommate would do that, but at least I could share a smoke with him on the fire escape). ** It figures that Michael's trip to Florida then the Bahamas started on the exact same day that the BF's vacation ended. I used to live alone, and I really loved it at the time. But somehow, knowing that a companion could be here at home with me but is not makes living sans roommate for 10 days even more difficult than living alone.

Anyway, needless to say, I'm blue. It's going to be a long week. The good news is that the BF only works 4 days, then he goes into his weekend- he'll have Fri/Sat/Sun off. It will be his (39th!) birthday on Saturday, so we are going to a fancy restaurant with a couple of his friends. Until then, I'm the lonely girlfriend of a Chicago cop, and the abandoned roommate of a gay jet setter. The good news is, that gay roommate has a really comfy bed, which I have been given permission to sleep in while he's gone (he washed the sheets).

*The conditions under which we met were not so good. They are also not the kind of thing I'm prepared to talk about on this blog. I wasn't doing anything illegal though.
** sidebar: I've never watched Grey's Anatomy and now I know why. It's on while I'm writing and some awful female doctor is crying in a janitor's closet. This could be the worst display of fake crying I've ever seen on television.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

You need a warm doggie. I choose this one: http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5722264

8:45 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Thanks, Esbee. But I'm allergic to dogs. And cats. And anything else with hair that isn't human hair.

Midnights suck.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

Ugh- I can relate. I'm sorry. It sucks.

p.s. You shouldn't have teased us with the conditions under which you met your boyfriend. You know I'm curious now, even if it wasn't illegal.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Lizzie- it is quite a story. Not good stuff either. Maybe someday if you are ever in chicago or i am in DC we can meet and i'll tell you about it over a bottle of wine.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home