30 January 2006

How the other half lives

So, as I said in my boo-hoo post yesterday, Michael is out of town. I am looking into buying a new mattress. Actually I won't be doing the buying. I am getting my whole family and my BF to pitch in and make it my birthday gift. I need to do some research though, as this is a big purchase and I don't want to get just any old mattress. How does one research mattresses though? Going to a mattress store and lying there for a minute doesn't seem like enough, especially for such a large purchase (in size and cost as it turns out). I guess I could knock on random doors and see if people will let me sleep on their mattress for a few nights, but there must be an easier and less creepy way than that. Anyway, Michael got a new mattress when we moved in here (simply because it was easier than moving the one he already had- no, I'm not kidding), and I decided I'd start my research on his mattress while he's out of town. It took me forever to fall asleep because I was too busy boo-hooing over my BF being back at work, but once I did finally fall asleep, it was great. I woke up with virtually no back pain, which has not happened in years.

I went online to price this mattress. I found out the name of it (Verlo Embassy pillow top Enhanced) and looked it up on the Verlo website. I was shocked to see that it was nearly $1,000. This is obscene. My family is generous, but I don't think they are going to spend that much on me. The fact that I cannot have this mattress is symbolic of my life with Michael. We have lots of fun together and we get along. But Michael doesn't have to restrain himself from anything. He can eat whatever he wants; he can buy whatever he wants. He seems to have no limitations on his life at all. I don't have any negative feelings toward him for that, but sometimes it's hard to sit there eating plain broccoli with my credit cards literally suspended in a bag of ice in the freezer, while he tries on a new pair of jeans and eats his 3rd chipotle burrito this week. The mattress being out of my price range was just another reminder how I will have to restrain myself and he does not. On the other hand, Michael's father has cancer; I would rather be in my shoes (no matter how badly I want a new pair) than his right now. It's all about perspective I suppose.

Anywhoo, 24 is back tonight. This is a show my BF and I usually watch together. As he is exhausted from his first night back at work and probably sleeping, I guess I'll be watching it alone tonight. Then I'll go to sleep alone on Michael's fancy mattress. Or I'll go to my neighbor's house and give theirs a whirl. Should I bring my own pillow?

ps: Thomas J. Noisewater has a funny blog about online dating. He's not the most dilligent blogger, but he has some gems. Check it out.

18 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Babe, it's like the incredible shrinking blog. Your fonts keep getting smaller and smaller. You have to close a size tag or two, I think? One in this post, one in the last.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

No, I made those small on purpose. should just be the ps on thomas j noisewater on this one and the ps on a couple other things for the last one. right?

i changed my header today again. i can't seem to get it to change all the text to white though. this kind of shit can keep me up all night if i'm not careful. and i have this cozy mattress to sleep in so i want to take advantage of that. also, i worry that the photo of chicago behind the words "I made a huge mistake" make it look like it was a mistake to live here, which clearly it is not.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

No, I mean EVERYTHING below is smaller. Look at the right column. It's like font size 1.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

PS: I completely could be wrong about the open tags. I messed up messing about with code one night and deleted like four posts.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Ok. How about now?

8:26 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

ps: it looks like lots of people post on my page now cuz of all this incredible shrinking blog stuff!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Still really teeny. You don't see it? Maybe it's my computer. Maybe I'm getting old(er).

8:26 PM  
Blogger ndheathen said...

Good mattresses are unfortunately obscenely priced. I bought a relatively inexpensive one about a year and a half ago, and I can't wait until I have a job that pays me enough money so I can actually drop the $1000 on a really good mattress.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

i give up esbee. i'm getting rid of it all together. :(

i've also given up on a good mattress. i just have to hope my roommate keeps going out of town so i can sleep on his snooty mattress.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

better? what i want to know is, why doesn't it look small to me?

8:32 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Yay! Whatever you did worked. I could read today's post fine, the PS was a bit smaller, but then the post below was still small, and THAT PS was microscopic, as was everything else below that and the entire right column. But now it's fixed.

Are you using the sizer in Blogger? The pushbutton one for idiots I use? Because that one closes tags automatically, I think.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

We have a good mattress. It was an anniversary gift to me from my husband on our 6 year anniversary. At a certain point, you get what you pay for, know what I mean? (I had horrible back pain after three pregnancies in less than 4 years. I think my husband was tired of going to bed with a woman who reeked of Ben Gay.)

8:43 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

actually, i went to lizzie's page and viewed the source of her mini text and copied and pasted it into mine. but obviously i did something wrong. i haven't tried the sizer on blogger. where is that option?

8:43 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Um...go to http://blogger.com, then dashboard, then into your blog, then hit Create new post. Make sure you are on the Create tab on the upper right of the space where you type, not the Edit HTML tab. Type something, highlight it, then click the scrolldown that says normal size, and change the size to whatever.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

FYI, I just wrote a post dedicated to you...

And no, I am not 4'11 and Asian.

And on mattresses, I totally need a new one that doesn't make me want to be shot every night.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is the blog about doggie daycare? I came all this way looking for it...

7:46 AM  
Blogger Brian South said...

So at first I was shocked that you had 18 comments on this post, but then I realized that half were yours.

Kudos on the header--I like it!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

PK- I know you are right about spending a lot on a mattress. And I would finance it, but I made it my resolution to get out of all debt by the end of 2007. So I am going to try never to buy anything on credit for a long long time. I know I spend a lot of time on my mattress, but I also spend a lot of time in my car. I may need to trade the Prius in for a Benz if I use that logic.

I'll get to work at some point on the doggie daycare post. I'm afraid it might be just two words though: yuppie shit. ;)

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home