05 February 2006

Grammy hammy

Is there a football game on tonight? I keep seeing people around town with big submarine sandwiches and football-shaped cakes. And there's a guy in my building walking around with a black jersey with gold lettering on it.

Anyway, I read a good article by Greg Kot in The Chicago Tribune today about how the Grammy awards are way out of touch. It points out that Kanye West is one of the few artists who has met both critical and fan acclaim. I had a student burn me a copy of Late Registration. It's pretty good stuff. Anyway, it lists some albums that were more successful with critics but get no recognition from the deeply unhip Grammys, and I was happy to see that I owned a few of them, most importantly Sufjan Stevens' "Illinoise" and My Morning Jacket's "Z". Both are pretty amazing. If you can get your hands on them, you should. It also inspired me to download, I mean, purchase a few other items off the list.

Well, I'm going to a party tonight where we will watch commercials. In preparation, I haven't eaten anything of substance all day. My BF and I went to Walker Bros in Glenview for pancakes. More accurately, I went with and watched my BF eat a double order of blueberry pancakes (skinny bitch) while I ate a fruit cup and an english muffin with nothing but jelly on it. And drank a shitload of coffee. Mmm mmmm good. I'm not entirely sure if that was enough food for me, but if the fact that I nearly black out every time I stand up is any indication, I'd say it isn't.

Songs: What a Wonderful Man and Into the Woods (not the musical), My Morning Jacket

6 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

I don't think there's a football game on tonight. I think it's basketball season, no? I could be wrong though.

Your talk of Walker Bros. reminded me of one of my favorite places for Sunday breakfast in Chicago. Do you know Valois? I think it's near the University of Chicago. I love that place! I used to hate pancakes and french toast until I had them there. That place moves Chicago one inch closer to being as great a city as New York.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Little known fact; This chick is attractive and has great taste in music, while her boyfriend listens to crappy, past their prime Rush records.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I don't know this place, Lizzie. You speak of Chicago like you've been here more than once.

TJN: you're too kind. I should fess up at some point that I've been trained. Not on the "attractive" part, but on the "great taste in music" part. You know about that, but I don't think I've given due credit for the benefit of my other readers.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

I agree. The Grammys have pretty much been out of touch since sometime not long after Michael Jackson won all those in the 80's.

Then again, Milli Vanilli did win one :)

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey what a nice site . your blog is great .

regards
cash advance

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home