08 February 2006

Oprah's newest intern


Oprah's newest bookclub choice is "Night" by Elie Weisel. From what I gather, she is sponsoring an essay contest wherein high school students are asked to write about the book. I'm not sure of the details because, frankly, I don't give a crap. I share this story because I have been selected to be a judge for the contest. "Selected" might not be the appropriate word because it sounds like they are desperate for judges. I received an email from a friend of a friend of a friend of a.... you get the idea.. who knows someone that works for Harpo. They were searching for teachers who have read the book (which I did in college yet I have no recollection of it at all except that it has something to do with the holocaust) who can help out with judging. I sent in an email fully expecting to get no response. Well, I got a call tonight from the Oprah show saying I have been "chosen" to be a part of this "exciting opportunity!" They also said I should find any certified teacher I know and beg her to join me. Apparently, I am one of about 100,000 "lucky winners." Yipee! In spite of the glaring lack of prestige associated with being 1 of 100,000 of anything, I have elected to participate. I am doing this for two reasons:

1. It pays $26/hour
2. If I say no, I just know I'll find out later that the "essay judging" was a coverup for some exciting Oprah sized surprise involving free iPods, spa packages and pashmina scarves.

My choice to do this virtually guarantees that this "essay judging" will in fact be just that- essay judging. Thus, I am ruining the 99,999 other judges' chances of getting any freebies out of this simply because I'm sick of watching Oprah give stuff away to what seems like everyone in the world but me.

I am going to try to put in a few hours tomorrow and a few hours Friday. There will be free parking in the downtown hotel where the judging takes place, free food and, most importantly, the cash. Why would I say no? A girl I work with (who is doing this with me) pointed out that there is a legal and ethical reason why we should not take a sick day to partake in this event- i.e. you are not supposed to take a "sick day" from work to spend the day earning money. The way I see it, it won't be the first time I've done something illegal or unethical to earn cash.

I better get to bed... I feel a sudden cough coming on. And a head cold. Cough cough.... sniffle sniffle....

8 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

What, no southie?

8:50 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I tried calling his ass to tell him about it, but he did not answer his phone. so i will talk to him about it at school today. the whole freaking english department is going to be gone tomorrow!

4:00 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

You don't think that might arouse suspicion?

Can you take a "personal day" rather than a sick day? IS that better?

4:21 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

Tara, this is the little unethical devil sitting on your left shoulder: take a sick day. You'll still get paid for your regular job as well as bank $100. do it..do it...do it. you know want to.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! That sounds like a fun way to make some extra money, and I agree with Heather, DO IT!

Then go eat some Portillos' - because I want to.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Brian South said...

Tara, of course there will be some magical giveaway tomorrow; I'm NOT going...

Esbee said "arouse." Hee hee.

Oh, and Heather B., Tara planned to do this all along; she loves sick days almost as much as she likes to agonize over choices she's already decided on.

MappyB: Grading, while it may make some money from time to time, is never "fun."

1:44 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Congrats, Tara! Your little tale reminds me of an off-color joke: Why did the high school girl have sex with the Mexican student: Because her teacher told her to "do an essay."

3:14 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

mappy- you obviously haven't read my post about being on weight watchers. i was only a short walk for a huge portillos today when at the grading session. i resisted.

Heather- southie is right, i love the sick day. so it didn't take much prodding for me to do it.

esbee- you'll be glad to know that i discussed it with my boss and she said it was okay. so it was not, after all, unethical.

dr. kenneth- HILARIOUS. I don't mind an off color joke every now and again. ps. :(

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home