06 March 2006

Fake Plastic Teacher

I am in the middle of a poetry unit with my freshmen. I always feel like an awful teacher this time of the year. With a background in journalism and the majority of the writing on this blog about the things that happen to me, reading and writing poetry is NOT my strength. Therefore, neither is teaching it. My kids just didn't catch onto the poetry analysis we attempted last week. They turned in an analysis sheet for a poem of their choice, and 90% did a half-assed job. Part of that might be my fault in some way, but I really felt like there was a lack of effort and in-depth thought, which, although it is unpopular with teenagers, is absolutely required with analysis of any kind.

So I decided to select a few songs from my collection to let the kids choose from for analysis instead of the awful poems provided in the curriculum. I would have allowed them to pick their own songs, but that would be a treat- and they really do not deserve a treat right now. I initially consulted with Dr. Kenneth Noisewater for his input, but I ultimately selected my own, even though he did have some awesome ideas. After logging a solid 2 hours on my sofa yesterday pouring over the 9 days worth of music in my iTunes, I finally arrived at the following songs. Fake Plastic Trees, by Radiohead; Opus 40, by Mercury Rev; Wish You Were Here, by Pink Floyd; I am Produced, by Guided By Voices. I'll try to post some of those lyrics below or in my next post, especially for Opus 40 and I am Produced, the lesser known songs on the group.

I spent several hours today and tonight analyzing these songs, and I'm concerned about what my kids are going to think about me after we analyze them together. Here's what I can conclude about myself from them:

I have an intense hatred for people who are phony or unoriginal (Fake Plastic Trees, Wish You Were Here, I am Produced- and upon further review, like a million other songs in my collection). That, and I'm this close to killing myself (Opus 40).

Maybe if they think I'm on the verge of suicide, they'll feel guilty and start actually working hard for me again. I might have to take advantage of this opportunity.

Opus 40
Mercury Rev

She tossed all night like a raging sea.
Woke up and climbed from the suicide machine.
With her Spanish candles and her Persian poems
stuck on the rocks inside Opus 40 stones.
And scratching her wrists in the pouring rain
she collapses down upon the ocean floor
again.

Tears in waves
Minds on fire
Nights alone by your side

Catskill mansions, buried dreams.
I’m alive, she cried, but I don't know what it means.
Somewhere out there across the moonlit sands
there's a line drawn like the lines on her own hand.
And slamming her eyes
locking the door
she collapses down upon the ocean floor again

Tears in waves minds on fire
Nights alone by your side

9 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

My father and I once, many years ago, had a long discussion about the song, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" by Deep Blue Something, which was playing on the radio at the time. It actually was a very cool discussion. He was 70 at the time.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I never took the time to look at the lyrics of Opus 40. The mood from the sound of the song is so uplifting, but the lyrics are intensely depressing. Big ups to you for bringing some Indy Rock to a bunch of kids that sing the praises of a bunch of seeminlgy cloned, crappy, pop/punk bands that should be sending The Promise Ring a check every month.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I've been thinking about it, and Tracy Chapman's song Fast Car is what I would use if I had taught such a class. It's a great lesson idea! I'm all geekily stoked for you.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

My first foray into poetry was Shel Silverstein followed by Edgar Allen Poe. I was 7. Never do that to a child.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

I think guilt could be a very effective teaching mechanism. Let them think that your life is in their hands... that their poetry analyses are truly life and death and if they don't want your suicide on their consciences, they better do a good job.

I've never heard of Opus 40 but I'm definitely going to check it out now. Is it weird that those lyrics make me want to? I'm a sucker for depressing songs.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Wow, thanks all of you for giving me mad props on this assignment. Lots of teachers use music to get kids into poetry. I hate teaching poetry, so this was the first time I ever enjoyed a lesson.

Esbee, I thought of Fast Car, but it's too literal. It's a story more than a poem like Eleanor Rigby was. Plus, it's way too long for a high school freshman's attention span.

Lizzie, I totally did that! I made them think that their lack of effort made me lose sleep. It pisses me off, but I'm not going to get all "Opus 40" over it.

Heather, I'll remember that. I wish I could think of the origin of my hatred for poetry.

Blake, I agree. I love teaching English, but I hate teaching poetry.

Dr. K- thanks for the compliment. And for making that lesson possible . . .

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm writing in response to your comment on Southie's blog. I cried when Edgar died too. You're not alone. I mean I really cried. What a baby! :) He was one of the best parts of the show. How will we go on?!?!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

For your next assignment, how about a deep analysis of gangsta' rap? You could compare Dr. Dre and Ice Cube's use of thew word MF'er. When is it overused, and when is it saved properly for a more dramatic effect?

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, I was interested to see your blog although I was actually searching for Very Fast Cars information. But your blog caught me eye, and is one of the better ones out there. Good blog. Cheers! John ##LINK##

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home