24 May 2006

Netflix newbie

I signed up for Netflix recently. I heard a story on NPR about the concept, and I was inspired to sign up for it. This in spite of the fact that I don't remember the last time I watched a movie unless it was suggested by another party. Still, the whole Netflix concept sounded too good to pass up. The first movie I selected was Glengarry Glen Ross, a 1992 film based on the David Mamet play. I've decided that I might be the first female Netflix member under the age of 30 (barely) to have this as the first movie in her queue, and frankly, I feel I should get some kind of recognition for it. It's not that this is the movie I wanted to see most in the world. It's simply that I was recently thinking about a guy I went to junior high who happened to be named Glen Ross, and I thought how weird it was that he had the same name as the second third of a David Mamet play that I have never seen. Don't ask me why I was thinking about this person, but I was and so Glengarry Glen Ross was the first movie I selected on Netflix. I'm glad I selected it; it was a damn good movie, but I found myself wishing I had a bottle of pinot with me because it would make an excellent drinking game film. Here's how I can guarantee you'd get loaded within the first 30 minutes:

- take a shot every time someone says "leads"
- take a shot every time someone says "close"

At this point you'd be in the ER with alcohol poisoning but in case you need more ideas...
- take a shot every time Alan Arkin repeats the last two words of Ed Harris' previous sentence
- take a shot every time Jack Lemmon pretends he has a secretary named Grace

And there you have it. Four foolproof ways to get drunk while watching a David Mamet film. By the way, I looked it up on IMDB and some douchebag submitted a summary saying that it is a New York real estate firm but it's not; it is, in fact, a Chicago real estate firm. I know this because:
- they have the 50 token "el shots"
- Ed Harris makes a reference to how things used to be on Western, meaning Western Ave.
- Al Pacino says he's going to Cuomo Inn, an old Italian restaurant in Chicago which no longer exists
- the cops are wearing blue shirts
- they use an address on Euclid, a Chicago street
One final reason this movie was so good is that Jude Ciccolella is in it. Who's that right? That's Mr. Mike Novik, the president's chief of staff on 24.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having only discovered your blog days ago, and having read every entry in fairly quick succession, it is amusing (boardering on disturbing) to me how often alcohol (which translates to "pinot" for you) finds its way into your posting, even if haven't been drinking in conjunction with the story you are telling. Not sure if this is a good thing, a bad thing, an ambivalent thing, or simply, your muse, which is far from rare for writers.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

wanna me netflix buddies?

3:20 PM  
Blogger ndheathen said...

The only point I can refute is that there is a Euclid Ave. in Brooklyn. Otherwise I say your argument holds up.

3:40 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Saw it with the wife in '93. She enjoyed it. I was pissed. It was probably good. I'll get it out on dvd n try your theory out n let yer know. Unless I've drunk meself to death of course.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Oh no. My uncle thinks I'm a drunk. I'm not, U-Dave. I actually don't drink nearly as often as I find myself wanting a drink. So although I may wish I could have a glass while I do this or that, it is only on the weekends, and not all of them, that I indulge. I'm too concerned about being healthy, staying trim and keeping my job to let it get out of hand. Also, I'm glad you have read my whole blog in succession; that had to be kind of brutal though. Were you bedridden for some reason?

Dan, I'm not sure what a Netflix buddy is, but I'd be willing to be yours as long as it doesn't involve me having to watch any crappy movies.

ND, I did a little research. It's totally in Chicago. Most of his plays are set in Chicago from what I understand.

4D, maybe my uncle should be worried about your drinking problem.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what you are saying is, you are less of a drunk, and more of an aspiring Lush?

4:45 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Netflix buddies, or friends, means that you can see the other persons queue, what they've been watching, what they've rated highly, etc. It's like talking about movies with your friends, without the talking part. Just go to netflix and click on the friends tab.

5:55 AM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Great post, SEM. Wife and I watch GGR every now and again. We'll be sure to consider the drinking-game options next time!

Feel free to check out the reviews (some are very very short) at my place if you're looking for inspiration.

Blogrolled you, by the way.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I'll have to check that out, Dan.

*, I'll check out your site. Since I'm not roped into this Netflix thing, I'll need some ideas for movies to add to my queue.

Dr. K, I agree. I'm sure you could find David Mamet somewhere around town. I think you should pitch this to him. Glengarry Glen Lemmon.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

So how do you like Netflix? I've heard some grumbles about it, mostly that it's impossible to cancel, which makes me leery.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

E, so far it's fine, but I've only received the one movie. On the site, they make it look like it's so easy to cancel. I'm actually pretty excited about the whole thing. I think my next movie is "Proof," which I was initially hesitant to see because I saw the play a couple years ago, and I loved it. I'm always afraid movies will ruin my perception of a play, but I'm ready to watch it now.

9:00 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

S'not a problem. Drink, fall over. Easy peasy.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

1) My favorite thing from the IMDB site is the following fact:
"The word "fuck" and its derivatives are uttered 138 times."

2) Welcome to Neflix!!! What's the email you signed up under? I'll throw ya' on the Friends list!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

Er... is silence a no?

7:29 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Hey, Marc- No, silence is a no. Can you give me your email address so I can add you? I don't like putting mine on this site.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

Well then I maybe I shouldn't put mine here either :)

Email me at: netflixfriendswithsueellen@yahoo.com

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a Euclid here in St. Louis, your city's bastard little cousin who never had a daddy.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Julian, I thought that was Milwaukee.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Milwauke (or Mee Lay Waw Kay as the Native Americans called it) never had a mommy, get it right.

BTW I am a huge Seinfeld fan and found this page on a random search for Sue Ellen Mischke. You're pretty funny for a bra-less wonder.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Oh that's right, Julian, I forgot.

Most of my hits from google come from people searching for the braless wonder. Glad you like it.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, I used to be a cop, and I also looked like a Puerto Rican boy as a child.
My most overused Seinfeld quote: (To be used when explaining something) "Right, but where does the meat go?"

3:51 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Well, Julian, at least you ARE a boy. I, however, am a girl, and looking like a Puerto Rican boy when you are girl is much more emotionally scarring.

I'm not exactly sure what episode that quote is from, but I'm guessing it's the one where Kramer gets that big slicer from the butcher.

Used to be a cop? It's probably a good thing you are not. My boyfriend says he loves it, but I think it's making him crazy.

Feel free to read a more recent post, by the way....

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home