30 April 2006

Saved

All the plans I had made to celebrate my birthday were cancelled in this order:
1. Dinner with the BF
2. *Friend #1 coming out with me for a drink
3. Friend #2 coming out with me for a drink
4. **Dinner with my family so I could go out with friend #3 and others for a drink
5. Friend # 3 and others going out for a drink
6. Going to Cubs game

It was gray and rainy all weekend in Chicago. I was as sad as I've ever been.

*** Then there was one bright spot that saved my 29th birthday from going down in history as one of the worst ever, making all the gloom and sadness go away. My BF was about to clock in for his midnight shift, which he had requested off for my b-day but was not granted it. His captain stopped him and told him he could have that personal day he had requested after all. That was at 11:30 on the night we were supposed to have a romantic dinner. So he showed up at my house at about midnight, saving me from a night of crying myself to sleep. By that time, it was too late for a romantic dinner. We don't get those very often because we are both trying to save money, so I was looking forward to splurging. But I don't care. I've never been so happy to sit on my couch with him and talk about whatever. It was the cheapest perfect birthday gift I've ever gotten. I was beaming; it saved my weekend, and provided the one thing I was just about convinced I wouldn't have: a happy birthday.

* This after my best friend couldn't join me because she was going to a dinner party where my ex-husband and his new girlfriend would be; I'm not mad at her, I'm just saying is all...
** In fairness to my family, they DID NOT cancel on me; I cancelled on them so I could try to salvage the otherwise depressing weekend.
*** There were two other subsequent bright spots: With some of my birthday money, I purchased a new pair of Joe's Jeans and a cute summer tank.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Happy belated!

My last birthday, my oldest presented me with a 3 inch tall, pink Power Ranger action figure toy, because "Girls like pink, and you're a girl, Mom." When you squeeze her, her head glows bright red. I relate to her utterly.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

That is so sweet that your boyfriend came over after all.

(Yet again) I have a similar story - in which I almost ended up spending my birthday all alone. Before a friend "rescued" me, it seemed like just about the most depressing thing that could happen. I'm so glad you didn't spend it alone!

8:05 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Really glad he made it. Happy Birthday n big hug x

1:53 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Thanks, all!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Hellooooooooooooooo! Where are you? You ok?

worryworryfretfret,
Esbee

5:44 AM  
Blogger Officially Fabulous said...

Yea! I LOVE that BF could join you after all!! My 29th was the WORST b-day EVER- including my parents REFUSING to come to my dinner b/c of a misunderstanding- the GOOD news is- EVERY b-day AFTER has been FABULOUS!! Here's looking on the BRIGHT SIDE (from a complete stranger)- HAPPY belated B-day!!!
~ Fab : )~

6:15 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Thanks, 30. Glad to hear it gets better from here. I'm afraid of what worse would look like.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

Canceling with your family to "salvage" a weekend? Here's hoping they don't read your blog ;)

Happiest of birthdays to ya'

7:38 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Marc, yeah, I guess that sounds bad doesn't it? They do read this; hope they didn't take offense.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home