05 April 2006

An excerpt . . .

Time and again, the Chicago-is-real theory simply does not stand up to scrutiny. There are no man-eating vines on the wall of Wrigley Field. No Al Capone. No John Wayne Gacey. These are stories invented to frighten children.

This is not to say that there are not Chicagoans, but I would suggest that they are a nomadic people, whose lost home exists only in
their minds, and in the glowing crystal memory cells they all carry in the palms of their hands: a great idea of a second city, lit with life and love, reasonable drink prices at cool bars, and, of course, blocks and blocks of bright and devastating fire.

from: The Areas of My Expertise
By John Hodgman

3 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

Did I tell you I'm going to be in Chicago this weekend for a wedding? Can't wait! (ok,ok, I admit, Chicago's pretty awesome. Not as awesome as a certain other city, but still...)

8:08 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

No you did not tell me that! How cool!

8:31 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Can I rent an apartment in your mind? Looks nice out there...

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home