20 March 2006

Can you peaceably assemble next weekend?

I took a sick day today to get some grading done. I had planned to take the whole day, but this morning I had a "summative conference" with my supervisors so I had to go in for an hour or so. The summative conference is the meeting where they tell me whether I've been rehired or not. I've been rehired. I wish I could say I'm "relieved" or that it took some kind of weight off my shoulders. But the truth is, I knew I was getting rehired. I don't have tenure yet, but I've gotten all positive reviews over the past 3 years, so I'm usually pretty confident going into these meetings.

This past weekend Michael and I went to a wedding for one of the girls in my bookclub. My BF was supposed to go with me, and since he has never met the bookclub girls, I was looking forward to that. These protests were going on, however, so he was not allowed to take the night off. As a liberal, I'm usually in favor of the rights of Americans "peaceable to assemble" in protest of our government. I learned, however, this past weekend that my fervent defense of that particular right granted in the First Amendment is contigent upon it not impacting my "and guest" option on the wedding invite.

Overall, it wasn't a very good wedding. It wasn't quite as bad as the wedding I went to where, during the first dance, the couple looked more like they were making a business deal than actually being in love. It wasn't even quite as bad as the wedding where it was a cash bar and we were kicked out of our tables so they could clear space for a dance floor. But it wasn't very memorable. I like the girl who was getting married, but we had never met her husband, and it seemed like the crowd was older than most weddings I go to. The first five songs were all released around the time most baby boomers were in high school. To make matters worse, it was in a far suburb of the city, and the traffic on the Dan Ryan expressway was bumper-to-bumper on the way there and, from what Michael tells me, on the way home as well. The ride home is a little hazy so I don't remember the traffic; all I remember is rolling the window down, then up again, every few minutes to ward off the vomit I was certain was on its way up. I didn't mean to get so drunk, but I did, and I thought for sure I was going to lose it in the car.

I made it home without vomiting, partially because I fell asleep, but mainly because, when I woke up, I found that we were in the drive-through at the McDonald's ordering chicken McNuggets and french fries. I never eat fast food, but this was one time I feel like it was a good decision to eat 14 grams of trans fat (which is about 14 more than I have in a week) at 11:00 at night.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah the Dan Ryan. Sorry you felt so sick in the car, that sucks. I've been there. On the same road too, even though I'm in DC now. Hope you don't mind I linked you in my blog, I've been reading through Southie's blog. Thanks!

1:13 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

McDonalds n you still didn't throw up? Cast Iron Stomach you've got.

What's this re-hired? You get a job but haven't? Join the Union. I'll represent you. Job for life or we strike!!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Blake, I did have a wicked headache on Sunday, but I felt better after a couple Tylenol. It must have been some shitty wine because I never get hangovers.

Mappy B- I'm glad you linked to my page. I'll do one to yours too. When did you live in Chicago? Why did you leave?

Four Dinners- We get re-evaluated twice each year. Once we get tenure, we technically get re-evaluated, but they can't fire us unless we do something really illegal. We are in a union, but that's what we agree to.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I find the "orange drink" at McD's soothing. I have no idea why.

8:47 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

mmmmmmm.....might be worth renegotiating that if you're plannin' anythin' illegal in the near future.

Read a blog that said an English accent is good for 'pulling' in the States. Is this true? Not that I'm lookin'. Happily wed n all that. Just wondered what an American lady'd make of my Lancashire accent - "Ee by eck lass thas a good bit o stuff". Wonder what they'd make of that??

12:53 PM  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

Yeah, most are suckers for the accent. I suppose it's because we're used to the usual American speak.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from Rockford originally, and moved to Chicago to work on a mapping project for ComEd - so I was there for the contract from 2001 - 2003, then moved to Milwaukee, then Syracuse, now DC where I am staying put for awhile. :)

I do miss it! But I love the green out here, and being so close to the 'mountains' and the beaches. But it's hard not to miss Chicago, and my friends and family, of course. :)

6:20 AM  
Blogger Heather B. said...

My brother had an open bar at his wedding and it was the best thing ever.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

HB, open bar is a MUST.. I had it at mine and it's pretty much standard at most Chicago weddings. Weddings are awful so you have to keep them happy with the booze.

4d- the only thing hotter than a British accent is a Chicago cop. A Chicago cop with a British accent? Forget about it!

Mappy- what are mountains? and "green"? and by beach you do mean a man-made sand pit on an e-coli-infested lake that is unhealthy to swim in, right?

6:32 PM  
Blogger Brian South said...

Have a great spring break, Tara!

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home