11 March 2006

Car Talk

I've had two boyfriends in my life who are car obsessed- my current BF is and my very first boyfriend from high school was too. Both of them have had an impact on me to the point where I can carry on a pretty lengthy conversation about Car and Driver's rating of mid-size luxury sedans, the next car I am going to buy and why, and my dream car. I don't even mind doing it. I don't claim to know anything about horsepower or torque or pistons, but I like walking around dealerships to look at cars I'll never buy, and I can identify just about any car from a mile away within two seconds of spotting it. I still talk to that high school boyfriend, and he still sends me pictures of himself in his friend's Porsche Carerra GT (see left). With my current BF, if he's being quiet, all I have to do is say, "So what is your next car going to be" and he is off and running for a good 45 minutes.

But that's not why I listen to Car Talk. I am an NPR junkie, so I'll listen to any old thing that comes across its airwaves, and that's how I found Car Talk, which is on Chicago Public Radio at 9:00 a.m. on Saturdays. It's hilarious. Even if you would rather eat poo that talk about cars, I'd highly recommend tuning in. Yes, they take calls from people having problems with their cars. But it's surprisingly entertaining to hear a woman explain the noise her 1996 Chevy Cavalier makes when she's in idle, a guy explain how a banana ended up in the tailpipe, calling an odor coming from a the vents a "car fart", and the two brothers goofing on the callers and each other for an hour.

10 Comments:

Blogger Brian South said...

As someone who cares extremely little for cars or anything car-related, almost to the point of using the word "hate," I must say that I LOVE Car Talk. It rocks.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

"I was checking the specks on the gurters . . . "

I couldn't get a spelling on gurters. anyone?

10:42 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Only one car problem ever in my life. A blowout. Wasn't really the car to be honest. Just the location. Ended up in an old ladies living room. I was ok. I called the police. She made me a cup of tea.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Southie and Dr. K, you two are soul mates when it comes to their hatred for cars. I should know.

Dr. K, I tried everything on my Mac Dashboard dictionary to find the correct spelling of gurter. Maybe it's not a word. And you should have finished the rest of that quote... "...gurters... I'm an idiot."

Four dinners, do you mean your CAR ended up in a person's house? Like, you drove it through a door or a wall or something? That's hilarious! It's like that scene in Blue's Brothers when they are driving through the shopping mall.... "Pier One Imports. That place has everything." Nice of her to make you a cup of tea.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

All hail the mighty Click and Clack.

12:22 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

She had to stay in the kitchen as the living room had my car in it. Kettles in the kitchen = cup of tea... only in England....('cept the Blues Bros of course)

12:27 PM  
Blogger Brian South said...

Thanks for putting my button up, Tara, but you have it pointing to photobucket.com. It's an easy fix--let me know if you need help.

Dana and I just went for another jog. ugh.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

oh. i'll figure it out.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Brian South said...

Tara! Check your email--I got you a present! =)

2:40 PM  
Blogger melbo said...

Car Talk is the best! And Public Radio in general is pretty amazing, I agree with you there. There are so many shows that I absolutely love. Wait Wait, This American Life, Diane Ream, All Things Considered, Fresh Air, and on and on and ON. Car Talk is pretty close to my favorite, though.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home