12 March 2006

Italian guilt

The Sopranos are back tonight, as most of you probably know. I tried for a good two seasons not to watch the show. I didn't want to take part in yet ANOTHER show specializing in negative depictions of Italian-Americans, feeding into the stereotype that all Italians are criminals. It's easily the most well-accepted stereotype out there, to the extent that people are shocked when I am offended by people who assume my grandpa is a mob boss- a criminal (he's not). Imagine meeting a black man and saying, "What was that like? Growing up not knowing who your daddy was?" You wouldn't do that! It would be IGNORANT. Imagine a movie, no a whole GENRE of film, focusing on the drinking problems of the Irish, the math-savvy of the Asians, the taco-eating of Latinos, the self-deprecating wit of the Jews (oh... wait...). Aside from that last one, those things simply would not be acceptable. Yet, we Italians have allowed, and in most cases even encouraged, it to happen that a character in a film cannot be Italian without his affiliation with organized crime becoming an issue. Moonstruck, one of my all-time favorite movies, is one of the only movies I've seen where the realistic (sometimes positive, sometimes negative) side of Italian-American culture is explored: an old married couple who can't stand each other, an old married couple who loves each other, big meals with red wine, curses (not just cursing), Catholicism/Catholic guilt, opera, love, family-owned grocers, bread, dinners with family... In my life, that is what being Italian has meant (except you should replace opera with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin). Not gangsters, men who hit their wives and kill their best friends. Italian-Americans (as are all ethnic groups) are interesting people with quirky and loving families. That should be the subject of a film just once. Hey Sophia Coppola. Why not make a movie like Lost In Translation whose main character has an Italian last name. And that's it. Just use an Italian last name ONCE without that and his criminal history being the focus of the whole damn movie (and inevitably the trilogy that will follow).

Yet . . . yet . . .

I watch it. And I love every second of it. DAMN ME!!!! To atone for my sin of finding pleasure in the perpetuation of the negative stereotyping of my people, I've provided a link that will give the tools to other braver Italian-Americans to fight back against the Sopranos. This link, by the way, is hilarious. You'd be at step one of three for at least a decade. . .

. . . Which gives me hope that these brave freedom fighters won't succeed before we find out if Tony and Carmela are going to stay together.

*This was supposed to be a short post that included only a picture of the Sopranos and one line that explained the guilt I feel for loving the show. I apologize for the rant.

13 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

VERY good post. Seriously.

Now, don't you have a horsed head to put in someone's bed?

Again, nice work, Tara.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Thanks, Dr. K. :)

9:26 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Just sent off my idea for a new soap to the BBC......

Drunken Irishman marries Asian maths genius. They live on tacos and move to Sicily with the drunken Irishman's Jamaican half brother....

Dunno where this goes next. Any ideas? We could make a fortune..spin offs, merchandising..

10:23 AM  
Blogger Brian South said...

I like the Sopranos and am Italian, but I don't have HBO. What does that make me?

What's a horsed head?

11:10 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

FD- spinoff idea- after ours gets cancelled, a show about the Irishman's polish-born neighbor moving to America to become a cleaning lady. Merchandise idea- a t-shirt that says, "Hey, at least none of the Italians are in the mob!"

Not sure what your lack of Sopranos knowledge makes you, Southie. Someone too cheap to order HBO? And I think Dr. K meant to say horse's head. Get it? Italians... Godfather films...

1:36 PM  
Blogger melbo said...

Wow, being Italian-American sounds sweet. What a great post.
Tara, you don't give yourself enough credit. You've already completed most of steps 1 & 2. Now you just need to print about 20 copies of this post and lick a few stamps. You can even do it while you watch the show to even the scales!

1:51 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Either a big T-shirt or HALNOTIAITM on the front....Big T-shirts I think...

workin' on it..

1:52 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I did mean horse's head. My bad. Friends don't let friends drink and blog.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

I don't watch that show.

But.

Today, under entertainment news on the Washington Post website, I read the following headline: Soprano Anna Moffo Dies. And I clicked it to see if I recognized the actress's face, but the whole thing was about hr voice. It actually took me a few seconds.

Jeebus, I forgot "soprano" meant something else first.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

That's hilarious, Esbee.

FD, yeah, I guess it would have to be a big t-shirt. We could do a track suit, like the ones Tony Soprano wears, and have HALNOTIAITM scrawled across the back. That'd be sweet.

Melbo, being Italian-American is sweet. After I wrote this post, I went to my grandma's house, like I do every Sunday morning. We had the same thing we've eaten every week since I was born- rigatoni, "gravy" (sauce for non-Italians), meatballs, sausage and salad- at about noon. All the various parts of my family have this same tradition in their own homes. It's very common in Italian families, at least those in the Chicago area, to do this exact same thing. I wonder if Italians in other cities do this.

5:06 PM  
Blogger melbo said...

I'm not trying to shamelessly self promote (okay, maybe just a little) but Tara, I'm rethinking my whole Italian-American conversion and thought you should know why.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Ron said...

You worry about Mafia guilt? Oy, try being German!

Big Night is a good, touching film about Italian-Americans...

8:53 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I did see Big Night; you're right, no negative mafia stereotypes. I liked that one. Still, Moonstruck is my fave.

I didn't think of the German thing. Bad news is that I am one quarter German.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home