17 March 2006

Blog-o-licious teachers

I raised my hand. My 5th grade teacher, Mrs. McCall, came over to my desk to answer a question I had regarding my spelling
book assignment. I pointed to the question that stumped me, and she leaned over to take a look at it. As she leaned over, she exhaled, and a flat, round booger dropped out of her nose, landing on my spelling book. An awkward moment, for sure. Her solution was to brush it away and say, "Well..."

I don't remember anything she said after that. I just stared at that spot in my spelling book for roughly 10 minutes, wishing I had a witness to the situation- not just because it was so bold of her to simply say "Well..." to such an embarrassing moment, but mainly because it was easily the biggest booger my young eyes had ever seen, so big that I think I heard it land on the page. Who would believe that story? Do YOU believe that story? It's true.

The thing is, I have tons of memories of my teachers all the way from my 3rd grade teacher who took me shopping to my driver's ed teacher who did a cartwheel in front of my class. After a long week where I feel like I've been too busy grading and going to meetings to have had time to make a difference, I remember that, at the very least, there are probably several kids out there who will someday tell stories about their high school English teacher who:

1. while being observed as a student teacher, tripped over the strap of her bag and landed on her face in front of the whole class.
2. said "condom" instead of "comma" to a room-full of 8th graders
3. shouted "no grinding!" to her high school students as they left class on the day before a big dance.

That's only in my first few years. Hopefully I won't have a moment like Mrs. McCall or the teacher with the itchy crotch, but you never know.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brian South said...

I once accidentally peed on a student's paper. Man, was THAT embarrassing.

10:29 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Classic stuff. Once had a teacher with ill fitting false teeth for English. They fell out on a kids book one day. Another day they got stuck in a sticky bun at a school fete. One lesson when we were quietly reading a Thomas Hardy book he announced suddenly "My dog pees on money. Carry on reading"

Cracker in England means 'great' by the way....n' no I didn't take the photo sadly..

5:02 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

No way! That's hilarious. "My dog pees on money"? That's cracker. ;)

"Cracker" means great? I love a good cracker as much as the next guy, but if I was going to associate snack food with greatness, I'd have to go with cookie.

Southie, it's funny that both you and four dinners talked about peeing on my page- well, not about actually peeing ON my page, but I mean that you made a comment about peeing regarding something written on my page.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

You'll be fine as long as you respect the embarrassing/just-plain-gross distinction. See... a Freudian slip in front of 8th graders is embarrasing... while scratching the box in plain view of 6th graders is just-plain-gross.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Brian South said...

Tara, I tagged you. Check my site.

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home