20 April 2006

I see gay people

I'm in the middle of teaching my sophomore journalism students the non-fiction novel "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote. I'm reading along with them because I procrastinated and didn't read it in advance. I'm quite a bit ahead of them, but
frankly, I probably should have read it, oh, I don't know, last summer. But this post is not about my sophomoric procrastination. No, it's about the woes of being a teacher in the conservative strong-hold, DuPage County, IL.

When the movie "Capote" was released, the other journalism teacher and I knew it would be an excellent choice for a film to show after completing the novel. It really should be called "Capote's In Cold Blood" rather than simply "Capote" because it is as much about the process of researching the story as it is about the man who wrote it. In the department in which I work, when we have a film we wish to show, we propose it to our boss, who then sends out a mass email to all the other teachers in the department notifying them that a teacher has requested permission to show a particular film, in this case Capote. The teachers in the department are then supposed to approve it or raise concerns they may have about showing the film, be them curricular concerns (i.e. it's already used in another class) or concerns regarding whether the film is appropriate for teenagers. So I submitted the proposal, and shortly after my boss distributed the email to my colleagues. When I get such emails, I simply delete them without even second guessing the film. Why? Well, #1, I have enough shit to deal with without having to worry about what goes on in one unit in one classroom in my school. But #2, I trust that my colleagues are making an informed choice and aren't showing a film that is going to destroy the delicate moral fiber of the innocent teenagers in our classrooms. Apparently, I'm the only one who has this reaction. Several months went by after I made the proposal, and my boss still had not given me the verdict. So I asked her about it recently, and she said there were a couple of "good points" raised about the film (which she had never seen). Two people questioned my proposal. The first person asked "Is there any other author on whom we spend so much time dissecting personally after reading a novel?" To that I say, "Hey, Jackass. Watch the film and read the book. Once you do, you'll realize that Capote isn't just about Capote; it's about how a revolutionary writer and journalist pursued a story and compiled a ground breaking novel." The second person evidently is more in-tuned to the religious/conservative population in our school. He/She (but let's face it, in my department, more likely a "she") said "With the gay issues raised in the movie, the Mormon population in our school might have objections to the film." Oh, I see. Because the mere fact that gay people exist is enough to offend the Mormon church. There are no point-of-entry raunchy gay sex scenes in this movie. There isn't even a single kiss between two men. In fact, all the viewer sees is Capote and his monogamous lover vacationing in a villa in Spain together. Now, is that the gayest thing I've ever heard? Sure. But is it OFFENSIVE? Hell no. Let me tell you what the Mormon church should find offensive.: the shitty music my students listen to wherein the "artists" throw the word "bitch" around like it's a pronoun; the MTV programs my students watch wherein hot tub hookups are standard procedure for first dates; rainbow parties, grinding, homophobia, racism and plagiarism. But two men in a committed relationship as nothing more than a footnote in an otherwise incredible film is not offensive. If we have to tip-toe around what the Mormon church, or any church for that matter, finds offensive, we'd never be able to teach half of the novels or films we teach in this country.

Okay. Well, my goal was the have 100 entries before my birthday on 4/30 so I could post my 100 things list on that day. Unless I go on some kind of crazy writing binge in the next 10 days, I don't think that's going to happen. Just one more goal I won't have met before my 29th birthday.

12 Comments:

Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Maybe they just don't like the Spanish. Tell'm it's in Italy or somethin'. Even better say you're gonna show a cowboy film instead n show 'em Brokeback Mountain. You might get sacked but it'd be a fun way to go!

2:50 AM  
Blogger Will said...

What a coincidence, I bought In Cold Blood yesterday.

Re the anger: hear hear.

And: Good luck with the writing binge.

2:57 AM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

I just did my 100th yesterday. Bit of a milestone, I thought.

Nice Seinfeld refs in your url and user name; it's where I adapted my blog's name from, too.

Good work! Keep swinging those arms.

3:14 AM  
Blogger icancarryallthebagsandthebabiestoo said...

I grew up in Colorado and went to a "blue ribbon school of excellence" that was very mormon and such a thing never would have been tolerated.

The religion itself is incredibly homophobic and sexist, as many organized religions are, but I think even moreso due to its contemporary nature.

I, personally, have never understood why anyone would object to viewing a healthy homosexual relationship. I good model is a good model. Get them where you can.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

Well. It appears I'm the only Mormon that posts on you blog so I guess it's on my shoulders to defend Mormondom ; )

1) In my experience Mormons typically not the ones pounding the censorship drum (There are exceptions, however, as many Mormons objected to HBO's new series Big Love, fearing it may sow confusion about the Church's stand on polygamy). It's hard to speak in general terms, because there are certainly some who might push censorship, but I did grow up in and attend school in Utah if that counts for anything (Sidenote: Capote has been at the top of my Netflix queue for a few weeks now - But because of it's "Long Wait" status, I keep getting sent the movie underneath it).

2) As for Said's comment, I guess that hasn't been my experience either, though it's not clear exactly constitutes "homophobic and sexist" in her/his eyes. Speaking for myself, my parents always taught me to be loving and tolerant of others regardless of their beliefs, and that's what I'm going to teach my kids. I should note that I don't think tolerance requires one to embrace another's beliefs (e.g., I live next to a wonderful Muslim family (we're good friends) and while I respect their beliefs, I don't feel as though I need to accept their religious doctrine in order to be tolerant of them nor would I expect that they feel they need to accept mine). Certainly there are Mormons that are intolerant (as there are intolerant, Jews, Evangelicals, Catholics, Muslims, Humanists and Atheists), but I don't think that the label fits as a stereotype.

4) Mormons are not part of the Religious Right. In fact, most of the Religious Right thinks we're going to burn in hell. Mormons typically do not protest outside abortion clinic or denounce gays with inflammatory rhetoric (ala Pat Robertson). They also aren't obsessed with creationism (the Church owned BYU teaches evolution in its biology department). While many Mormons are conservative and vote Republican, it should be noted that there are a lot high profile Mormon Democrats, including Harry Reid, the leader of the Senate Democrats.

4) Sue Ellen, I think the irony you point out regarding much of today's popular music and TV is spot on. I think it is hypocritical for anyone to embrace those things but claim offense at quality movies or literature that may have some gay characters or themes. Ultimately, regardless of a person's beliefs, they should seek to learn and understand where others are coming from, even if they may, in the end, still disagree with them. We shouldn't fear alternative points of view. While I don't personally know the Mormons in your area, my guess is that they don't all share the same views toward what is appropriate for your teaching curriculm. The Mormon Church itself certainly doesn't lobby for or against this sort of thing, it goes out of its way steer clear of these sorts of fights (it strives to be nonpartisan and seldom speaks out on policy issues unless it feels there is a large moral issue at stake (e.g., it has continually opposed the legislation legalizing any form of gambling in Utah)).

8:03 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

That said - I have a prediction for you though. A lot of Mormons will be up in arms over Dan Brown's new book (expected out next year I believe)... rumor has it it takes on Freemasonry and Mormons. : )

8:05 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Marc, I hope I didn't offend you. I'm more irritated with the overall conservatism of the county in which I teach. I have a mormon student in my class, and he said he and his parents would have no problem with the film. Thanks for sharing your beliefs.

4D- I thought the same thing- I should just show Brokeback if I'm going to get so much heat for a film.

*- Saw "The little Kicks" the other day. I love that episode.

Will- look who's here! Glad you stopped by. I love your blog- especially that A-Z on 24.

said-I can't understand the fear of gay couples either.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

No offense taken whatsoever. Hope my response didn't come off that way.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Marc, no it didn't come off that way. Just wanted to make sure I didn't offend you.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Lizzie said...

Wow, great post. I'm with Marc - you're completely right about the hypocrisy re: everything else kids are into these days.

At the risk of sounding like a loser, what's a rainbow party?

p.s. Happy Birthday in 6 days!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

A rainbow party is where all the girls in attendance wear different colored lip gloss and go down on the same guy, leaving a Rainbow on his penis.

It's gross. What kind of self-respecting girl shares a guy's penis with 5 other girls? I'll tell you what kind... the kind with NO self-esteem.

Thanks for the b-day wish. I hate birthdays so it is not likely to be a happy day. Worst day of the year.

7:45 PM  
Blogger syd said...

i thought all girls did that... maybe it's just me.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home