05 May 2006

Retail therapy

As you've probably noticed, things aren't going so well in Sue Ellen Mischke's life these days (so bad in fact, that I'm experimenting with writing in 3rd person to distance myself from my misery....George likes his chicken spicy!). In fact, it feels just about like everything is going to pieces. It's so bad that when I called my grandma, who recently had surgery, to check in with her, I nearly broke down. I'm so bad at masking my sadness that she could tell within the first 5 words that something was wrong. Then she started grilling me (in a way only my grandma can) to tell her what was wrong. I gave her my stock "I'm tired- long week" excuse, but she wasn't buying it. By the end of the (2-minute) conversation, I was crying as I said goodbye. Hence, I will soon be getting a phone call from my mom (who is babysitting my 2 nieces while my 8 months pregnant sister stays at the hospital with her husband who may have to have emergency surgery for some reason relating to his cornhole) who will rightfully be mad at me for making my 75-year-old sick grandma worry about me. I didn't mean to do it; but when she said "I Love You" I couldn't stop myself from crying. Now everyone in my family knows something is wrong.

In an effort to combat this sadness I decided to go to Old Orchard, a fancy mall in the northern suburbs. As you might recall from my previous post, I took a personal day today. I didn't take the personal day for the purpose of going to the mall, but I had lots of time to myself (which I did not want) so I went to Old Orchard in search of retail therapy on my limited budget. I started at Ann Taylor Loft where I got the cutest white shorts/capris and two cute summer tops. These were all under $40 so I did well. Plus I was using birthday money, so I'm still okay. This photo doesn't do these shorts/capris justice. They look awesome on me. For me to acknowledge that anything looks good on me is pretty rare, so that should give you a pretty good indication of how cute they are. Then I got a navy blue cami with sequins on it and a cute white (sale) tank as well.

But the coup de gras was these shoes from Banana Republic. No, they won't be as comfortable as the Aerosoles I've been loving these days, but I won't put as many miles on these. I tried them on with the shorts/capris and the white tank when I got home, and it looked almost good enough to bring me out of my depression. The good news is that my gift certificate covered all but $24 of the shoes. I plan to wear them tonight with my cutest jeans and the blue tank and my white jacket while I'm drowning myself in margaritas and/or Modelo and/or Pinot Grigio.

9 Comments:

Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Hate people bein' sad. I'd buy yer drinks all night. Why yer so sad? The suns out (here anyway), the birds r singin', the flowers r bloomin' n there's vodka available. Not all bad then....

3:27 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Retail therapy does help. Plus, it's patriotic, because it stimulates the economy.

If your frail grandmother isn't available, perhaps you could find a nice homeless vet and depress him. Or an orphan. A blind one. With no arms.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Well, you know what George says... do the opposite!

6:06 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

4D, having a fight with the BF is making me down. We talked about it a little bit last night and this morning and things are looking up a bit. It's easier to see the sun shining and hear the birds singing when you're in love I guess.

E- hilarious. Funny thing is that I wouldn't have to go more than a few blocks to find the homeless vet. The guy who begs me for money every single day on the exit ramp by my house is supposedly a homeless vet.

Dan, I've actually considered this approach. That's one of my favorite episdoes "My name is George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents." That's also the Even Steven episode. Love that one.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

If it makes you feel better, I committed the faux pas of the week yesterday. It's on Wordaholism. Aeful.

8:06 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Top tip. Little Caz is never sad. If we fight she hits me on't head wi a fryin' pan n it makes her laugh. Also got me right between the eyes with a tooth brush. (Well she is 1/2 Scottish n a 1/4 Irish. Gaelic temper. Works though. I'm on't floor n she's crackin' up laughin'. Then I get a hug.

3:44 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Yep, Even Steven is Do the Opposite are the most popular Seinfeld themed references in my blog.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Bone said...

Yes, but are you still master of your domain?

Sure hope you get over your sadness soon.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Bone, thanks. I hope so, too. And as for master of my domain, as long as I'm depressed, I am king of the castle.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home