10 June 2006

Shirts and Skins World Cup Soccer

I've never been much for soccer. I know it's like the world's most popular sport and all, but I never had the opportunity to get into it. The fact is, the only sport I like is baseball so I don't take much of an interest in any sport, American or otherwise. The BF, on the other hand, is quite a soccer fan. So in order to make an effort to enjoy something he enjoys, I've been watching some of the games. I went to his house on the morning of the Germany/Costa Rica match (is that the right term?), and, as this was the first time I've watched a professional soccer game (again...), I was struck by several things, such as the chanting audience and the clock ticking up instead of down, but only one of the revelations has inspired me to continue watching this World Cup:

Soccer players are sexy.

Had I known this, I may have taken an interest in soccer at an earlier age. Hell, I may even have played soccer on the off-chance that I might meet a soccer player someday so I'd have something to talk about with him. And while I enjoyed watching these handsome fit men running around in circles for 90+ minutes (amazing, by the way), I kept wishing it was shirts and skins. In fact, I think the World Cup would be even more popular if this were the case. Maybe Verizon could sponsor it, and viewers could text their vote to determine which team is shirts and which is skins. I love this idea, and I hope someone from the World Cup is reading my blog and taking notes.

In other news, I was out far too late last night. An interesting fact. I was out with several graduates of the high school where I currently teach. The older sister of one of my students showed up to the bar I was at, where I was consuming countless shots of god knows what and drinking white wine like it was my job. I begged her not to tell her brother she saw Ms. Mischke at a bar getting hammered, but I'd wager she'll tell him. He's one of my favorite students ever, and he's a good kid. Still, that doesn't mean my lush-like behavior won't show up on his My Space page or something.

Finally, on a completely unrelated note, the Cubs are facing Cincinnati right now,. The Reds named their relatively new stadium "The Great American Ballpark." Really? In Cincinnati? That's funny, I know quite a lot of people who would argue that the Great American Ballpark is in, oh, I don't know, Chicago or Boston. I can't get over the people that came up with this name. It would be like naming your department store "Everybody's favorite department store" or your restaurant "Best New Restaurant in Chicago." Talk about tooting your own horn.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

good call, especially for the women's world cup too.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

That's sexist...

;)

10:30 AM  
Blogger ndheathen said...

Yes the soccer games are called "matches." Also, Great American ballpark is named after Great Amaerican Insurance Company. Don't you love the corporate world;-)

12:49 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I don't care what it's named after, ND, it's not accurate.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Mexico won. My husband is a happy campero.

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's sexist for a guy to endorse topless women on a soccer field, but not for SEM to ask for it when there are men out there?

Hmmm.....do I detect a double standard?

7:11 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

We used to have lots of skins over here in football (not soccer, football! You're football isn't as they don't kick the ball much!). Our skins generally concentrated on kicking the oppositions fans heads in though so not so much fun. Football is the greatest game ever invented in the history of humankind n I'll not consider another view. England might win it, Brazil probably will. Italy look hot n Australia surprised a lot. The USA?...mmmm...I think they might be home soon - hope not actually as I think they're a damn sight better than they looked n I'll be cheerin em on less they end up playin Engerland o course!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

You do detect a double standard, CanadianUncle. Guilty as charged!

Esbee, Italy won so I'm happy too I guess. I'm just happy that I'll get to watch them play again. So hot. So hot.

4D, I've enjoyed watching the football games so far. I understand that everyone in the world loves it, so I won't try to argue with you about if it's the best in the world. I love baseball so in my world that's as good as it gets. But 50 ba-jillion people around the world can't be wrong. That's why I've been watching; I want to see what all the fuss is about. I'm starting to enjoy it the more I watch it, and it's not only because the Italians are hot enough for me to actually sit in front of the TV for 90+ minutes in hopes that one of them will rip his shirt off and run around in circles for a while. ... I have to go take a cold shower now...

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the subject of their shirts, if you wait until the game is over, before they leave the field, most of the players will take theirs off and exchange them with a player from the opposing team as a sign of sportsmanship and to take home a souvenir. I don't know if TV in the US will linger long enough to show this, but you might want to try waiting after the very end to catch a glimpse... Next Italy game is June 17 vs the USA

6:05 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Mexican Uncle, I've noticed that the Spanish channel is less ... let's say conservative... about showing partial nudity, so I always switch the channel at the end of the match in hopes that they will show the shirtlessness. However, I find that they cut immediately to the large-breasted camel-toed bimbos with the Mexican flags chanting "Me-Xi-Co!" even when it's not, in fact, Mexico that just won a match.

June 17- it's on my calendar. Thanks for stopping by, by the way ;)

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home