10 December 2006

Stocking up

(The picture is irrelevant, but those are my adorable nieces and nephew)
One of the best Christmas gifts I ever got was a huge box filled with various types of medicine. At the time, I just thought it was funny, but months later when I had a sore throat and actually had a remedy for it in my house, well, I was never so grateful. It was from my now-former father-in-law, and he bought it because I had become notorious in their family for not keeping medicine in my home. Their son, who was prone to getting ill, had to drive over to their house to pillage the medicine cabinet everytime he had a headache. Poor bastard.

In my "medicine cabinet," there are no cures for any kind of ailment (except wrinkles, dry skin and bad breath). Once I had a jar of ibuprofen, but that belonged to a roommate. Currently, I have a box of halls that my boyfriend bought me when I had a sore throat. The only thing that bothered me more than the sore throat was the taste of those lozenges; only one is missing from the 2-year-old box.

The lack of medicine in my life isn't just because I don't get sick. It goes deeper than that. Some people are planners. Take my roommate for example. Under her bed she has one of those giant rolling tupperware thingys filled with backups of every beauty product she'll ever need. Shampoo. Conditioner. Cotton swabs. Hair brushes. Rubberbands. It's a virtual pharmacy under her bed. Under my bed? Giant dust bunnies, summer clothes and a duffel bag of the journals I've kept over the years.*

I have only one of everything I need. I don't deny that it makes sense to live like my roommate; I even envy the sense of stability she must feel. Yet I cannot bring myself to buy something at the store unless I absolutely need it. I have to be down to the last squirt of contact solution, the last squeeze of the toothpaste tube, before I will venture into the drug store section of my grocery store. I've even tried buying things I don't yet need. Every so often I'll see a bag of cotton balls displayed at the end of an aisle as I'm walking toward the items I actually need, and my body simply will not allow me to buy the cotton balls when I know there are cotton balls in the cabinet at home. Or when I bought my multi-vitamins a few months ago, I stared at the shelves stocked with Tylenol and Advil type products, and did the math in my head. Sure, I drink a lot of wine. But will I get $8.00 worth of headaches before this thing expires in four years? Nope. Back to the salad dressing.

Just like everything else, it stems from my childhood. Growing up, we were not allowed to get sick. Our medicine supply was limited to a box of generic aspirin under the sink that my dad stole from his first-aid kit at work. Beyond that, if you got really sick, you either had to ask mom to go to the store and buy you a cure for your ailment or suck it up. Either way, you were going to school. I could be bleeding out my eyes, and my mom would have handed me a square of toilet paper and said, "Go to school."

I'm afraid I am making my mom sound like a total bitch. She's not at all. She's actually the best mom in the world (seriously), but she is intolerant of the not-deathly ill. I mean, I heard the woman just two weeks ago call my dad a pussy for having a cold. And my dad never gets sick, so on the rare occasion that he does, you'd think she'd have some sympathy for the man she's been married to for 33 years. Nope. Suck it up, old man, and go to work.

What's in your medicine cabinet?

* I'm really hating this personality flaw right now, as I was in a mini-quiche eating contest last night and lost, and I would kill for some pepto bismol. A bottle of ibuprofen would be nice as well to combat the wicked headache I'm fighting because of the bottle of pinot I drank just before the quiche eating began.

17 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Preemptively, I keep stocked children's Tylenol, bandaids, neosporin, Advil (for me), and Tums.

Everything else I only buy as we need it.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother was giving me codine at age 14 if I had cramps! That could explain my extremely HIGH (not pun intended) tolerance to all things Rx.

That is one thing I've noticed about Swe, if you go the doctor you can bet it will be followed by a trip to the pharmacy. They'll give you an Rx for a hangnail.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Will said...

I have some plasters and paracetemol in a draw. Optimistic I guess.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Oh, I forgot to mention:

I have received medicine as a gift, but it wasn't personal and it was for our whole family, not just me. The former owner of Goody's headache powders is a family friend. They also used to make some throat spray and lozenges. Anyway, every year she would send out her equivalent of a fruit basklet: a large bag filled with their products. On the front the bag would read: GOODY'S FROM _______ (her first name). I always thought that was kind of cute, the play on the brand name and "goodies".

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have cold-eze (because it's only good if you plan ahead), and the smalles bottle of ibuprofen you can buy, and some decongestant. I should probably get some mouthwash since my 3 year old bottle was recently finished. My roommate keeps condoms in teh medicen cabinet. That I just don't quite get.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Esbee, sounds like you have the necessities for dealing with kid stuff. I should at least have Advil for hangovers and cramps. As for the "goody" basket, I'd take that over a fruit basket any day.

Lux, sounds like people in Swe are a bunch of sissies. My mom would be so disgusted.

Will, are "plasters" bandages? And what is paracetemol?

ND, I think mouthwash is overrated. I use it only sometimes, but if I'm flossing and brushing, why the heck do I need to do that, too? I think it's all a scam.

So condoms in the medicine cabinet? I would think that would break up your flow. Nightstand seems like a logical place for those (or wallet I guess if you like to have sex in other people's houses or public places).

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my medicine cabinet, I keep Zicam, because I truly beleive it works for nipping a cold in the bud, Ibuprofen, because I drink too much wine much too often, and about 98459 different flavors of Secret deoderant, because I am a nutbag.

1:41 PM  
Blogger jf said...

I got here via Esbee's blog in beautiful Winston-Salem NC. Sue Ellen, your blog cracks me up. As a high school teacher as well; I am green with envy that you have time to blog.
By the way... we keep a whole pharmacy in our medicine "closet". Who knows what kind of strange germ some kid brings to school! Better overmedicated than sorry.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Lee, nutbag. That's hilarious. I too drink too much wine, but I rarely get hangovers. It's both a blessing and a curse. "Flavors" of Secret deodorant? Do you eat it? ;)

Dixie, welcome! Glad you enjoy the blog. You'd think, being a teacher, I too would live in fear of catching the gross germs of my students. As for having time to blog, I have to force myself to make time because I'm pretty busy (although I do tend to be less busy than other teachers I know because of some perks in my schedule). But no matter how much I'd rather be blogging, my ass sits on the couch and grades several hours/week. I love it, though! Best job in the world is what I always say! Hope you'll keep making time to read my blog. :)

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No silly, I don't eat it! That would be crazy. I just like to have a choice of smell/scent/flavor in the morning. I also keep Secret in my car, my backpack, and my purse, should I become paranoid that I might start to smell less than Secret.

Hint: Don't keep Secrets in your car in the summer cuz they melt.

Thanks for visiting!

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

paracetamol = acetaminophen

7:18 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

Guess my Mormon stock predisposes me to having a large back up of just about everything in store. Mormons are encouraged to have a "year supply" of food and what not just in case. So I grew up thinking it was natural to throw in a case of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup on a quick run for veggies and a loaf of bread if the soup was on sale.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you feel this way about health and beauty aids (a term that I will never stop laughing about) then a trip to Costco or one of its clones must REALLY send you over the edge! You could by one package of anything they sell and have a two-years supply in your hand, apparently not a good thing in your world.

I am thinking a good blog posting for you might be one that caps an observational visit to a Costco.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Mexican Uncle, thanks for the translation.

Marc, a whole "case" of anything makes me nervous.

Canadian Uncle, YES! I HATE COSTCO! But I never knew why. Now I know why! The only thing I can buy there is gum, and that's because I'm addicted to Pink Orbit. The thing that baffles me the most is the giant jars of pickles. Who the fuck needs that many pickles? Hey, are you coming home for xmas??

5:56 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

I don't get sick I hover between life and death. What yer mean it's a headcold???? It's MY headcold. The hand of death hovers close by. I must stay in bed and be waited on hand and foot for a minimum of a week to ensure full recovery. Nightnurse with a vodka chaser will do the trick.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope it's okay that I linked you on My Letter Of The Day blog so I can check in. Let me know if it's not.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Lee, it's totally fine! I'll put you on mine too!

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home