22 February 2007

Disturbing or hilarious?

On any given day, I hear some pretty interesting things as I roam the halls of the suburban high school where I teach. Some of the things I hear are kind of funny-- like the girl I overheard in the sophomore hallway near my room. "Jobs are hard when they make you do stuff," she said, in the most stereotypical 'bored teenage Midwestern girl' voice you can imagine. Mostly, though, they are disturbing. Once, as I worked at my desk, I heard a girl shout, and I do mean shout, to her friend in the hall, "I got LAID last night!" I felt like walking out there and offering her congratulations in her amazing feat. God knows it is a challenge to find someone to sleep with you when you are a teenage girl with low self-esteem.

By far the most horrifying thing I have ever overheard was said by a girl that was no older than 14. I was leaving the building and passing the mass of students waiting by the exit for their buses. This is a particularly perilous time to leave the building for a few reasons, not the least of which is that you are likely to overhear students in their first moments of freedom after being held captive in school all day. They are loud. They are rude. And they are crude. Apparently, they are also whores.

Here is what I heard Tuesday when I left work. A few boys and one girl were standing together waiting for the bus. One of the boys was carrying a platter of cookies, which he probably made in his "Foods" class. The girl said "I'll give you a blow job for one of those cookies."

Now, you have to understand; I walk past thousands of kids on a weekly basis. I hear stuff that I have to let slide-- curse words, arguments, anti-teacher propaganda-- even if it is my instinct is to turn around and beat the shit out of the offender. If I stopped every kid that appalled me, I would not make it to class. To be fair, I did not exactly ignore this girl, but I wish I had done more. As I stopped dead in my tracks, this misguided girl realized she had offered a blow job for a plate of cookies in front of a teacher. I simply turned to her and said, "Can you please at least have the courtesy not to talk like that in front of a teacher?" When I got in my car, I could not help but think I should have said more. But what? What can I possibly say to a 14-year-old who is willing to offer a blow job for a cookie? Here are some options:
1. "I will give you a lifetime supply of cookies if you promise never to offer sexual favors for cookies as long as you are alive."
2. "Come with me; we are going to the social worker."
3. "Give me your cell phone so I can call your parent/guardian and tell him/her what you just said."

The worst part was her reaction, or lack thereof. She glanced at me with this coy look on her face, a look like, 'oh I'm so ashamed that this old lady heard me being slutty. I'm so naughty aren't I boys?' I wanted to drag her by the hair into my car and tell her that she was making a fool out of herself. It was almost like she was proud.

On one hand, I find this story HILARIOUS. On the other hand, I find it disturbing. If it happened in a movie that was a parody about how high school girls are turning into cheap whores with low self-esteem, I would find it hilarious. But it was not a movie. It was at my job, and it was a real girl with low self-esteem who, at the very least, thought it was appropriate to portray herself as a cheap whore.

How about you? Is this disturbing or hilarious?*

*I won't be offended either way.

21 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

I definitely find it disturbing. Maybe it's not too late to do something though. At least bring it up with a school counselor or something?

Were girls such whores when I was in high school and I was just oblivious? Is this second generation women's lib - the freedom to give blow jobs for cookies? WTF?

6:39 PM  
Blogger jf said...

As a teacher at an inner city high school your story is so funny since I hear that same stuff everyday too. It is also so sad that these little girls see self worth in sexual favors. I teach girls that have 2 children already at 17... how sad is that?

6:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My dear, I find the story disturbing. However, if you hear such things again I insist that you confront the whore and say something like

"Speak fucking English you cheap trollop. They're called biscuits!"
(although that might not work in the States)

how about:
"Why give away your cookies when her Mum will blow you for free?"
or
"A blowjob for cookies, now that's just fuckin' sad. No girl should get on her knees for snacks."
or
Oh come on!!! Have a little respect and learn to value your body.... you should at least be demanding TWO cookies!!!

I'm sure I can come up with more if you want....:)

12:32 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Very disturbing but not, sadly, surprising. Our liberal elite who are ruling much of the planet have created this. They'll never accept they have of course.

10:47 AM  
Blogger ndheathen said...

It's disturbing, but I still want to know where the girls like this were when I was in high school

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two questions:

How tasty did the cookies look, and how cute was the guy? The right guy and the right cookie, hey, I'm on my knees, too!!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Lizzie- I could bring it up to a counselor if I knew who the girl was. There are nearly 4000 kids in the school so I'll probably never see her again. I know I wasn't that big a whore in high school. I had a dirty mouth, but I don't think I'd have made that joke.

Dixie, it's very, very sad. Sad for the 17 year old and sad for her baby.

Lux, oh trust me, I had very similar thoughts racing through my mind as well. Like I said, there is still a part of me that finds this kind of thing hilarious. Because honestly, the odds of that girl actually giving a blow job for a cookie are really slim, so I can laugh about it knowing that she there's a chance she wouldn't know what to do with a penis if that boy wagged it in front of her.

ND, this is a common reaction among straight males these days. I know those girls were out there when you were in HS (maybe even when I was in HS), but they kept it quiet. Girls today seem more proud of their promiscuity.

IGP, they were some sad looking cookies. If you give a good BJ, I would not have recommended offering your skills for such a low quality snack.

5:53 PM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

For me it's hilarious, but I'm working on the assumption she was joking.

Also, I was expecting worse with the build-up you gave. I thought you were going to hear something like: "Oh, after a day like today, I really need a good hard fuck tonight", or something. Now that would have been disturbing...

3:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm with the slightly disturbing camp....and also of the opinion that she should at least value herself enough to hold out for a dinner before getting on her knees.

My highschool was full of a bunch of prissy prudes - when I lost my virginity (at the age of 17 to my serious boyfriend), several of my friends stopped speaking to me because I was such a huge slut. In retrospect, they were probably just jealous, right?

Poor girls who think that's funny.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

Wow, I don't remember any talk like that when I was 14. And I took home ec one semester.

(Don't judge. It was either take home ec for free or pay to take vo ag.)

9:05 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

As a mom of 13 and 11 year old boys, I am saddened by this. I'm hoping (*) is right and this girl was just kidding, but nonchalance with a topic that was once so taboo probably means that she's only haf-kidding. I'm bummed because it seems that sex is no longer special to kids anymore. I'm not talking about finding the "one" and living happily ever after sex, but at least special one-on-one first time sweet stuff. I've heard stories round here of a bunch of boys gathered around a girl under the school bleachers to watch her give a bj. not very special.

UGH!

8:43 AM  
Blogger DLH said...

I am with you. In a movie, in context, it would probably be funny. But as a mother of three children, two of them girls, it is indeed incredibly disturbing.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where ya been? Miss the blog. Things OK?

4:50 PM  
Blogger poeticmutiny said...

I'm going to go with disturbing on many levels, mostly that it even happened being that she's 14 ... but also that she thinks all that work is only worth one cookie! I keep hoping in my mind that she wasn't serious and that she was kidding.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I love your blog!

I know this isn't in the same genre, but it's all I got so here goes ... I work for http://www.kultic.com and should you ever want a discount, let me know!

Keep up the great work and have a nice day!

8:55 AM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Yo, where you at, girl? Been a loooooong time...

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking disturbing. Not what the child said, but what type of parents she has.

What has this child been taught at home that makes her think this is a good idea?

Teachers are no longer allowed to whack a student up along side the head. Parents are no longer allowed to beat their asses for really bad behavior. Who is in charge of this world? Adults or children???

4:15 PM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Anyone home? You ok babe?

1:10 PM  
Blogger Biddie said...

Sad, and disturbing. I personally don't think that is much that you can do. I wonder if most parents would even take it seriously.
Maybe girls were whores when I was in school, but they were way more quiet about it.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

HIDEY HO THERE!!!! Only ONE measly post in three months?! I thought I'd have a slew of posts to read after not visiting your blog much as I finished up law school :P

This sad and disturbing. My heart ached just reading it. Teaching must be a pretty tough profession at times.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

There are times when you just have to put your foot down... and this is one of those times. The loyal readers of I've Made A Huge Mistake DEMAND a new blog post!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I can't believe your a teacher. I've been around a long time sent a few years in the Navy, Spent 37 years in a pipe fitters union and never thought a teacher would publicly post what you have.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home