11 January 2007

mmm... generic

After bragging in a recent post that I rarely get sick, I fell ill last week. "Fell" puts it mildly by my standards of illness. It was actually more like a dive, maybe even a plunge, into illness. I found myself working out and going about business as usual one day and a prisoner of my couch the next. Everyday I went to bed ill, I said to myself, "Well thank God that's over" because I have never been sick for more than two days much less the six days I was this time around. And if you read that recent post, you will not be surprised when I tell you that I did not have any of the necessary medications in the house when this illness struck. So I got my tired, be-fevered body off the couch, and I made a trip to Walgreens, where I became even more ill when I saw the price of the brands familiar to me. NyQuil, Advil, Tylenol... no thanks. Why would I buy Advil for $7.29, when I can buy "Wal-profen" for 2 for $4? It's a no-brainer.

However, I learned the difference lies not in subbing generic "Wal-profen" for Advil, but in subbing "Wal-quil" for NyQuil. NyQuil comes in cherry. You have options with NyQuil. "Wal-quil" however, comes only in green, which when I selected it, I was hopeful might signal mint or perhaps something in the apple family. I brought it home and waited eagerly for bed time to come so that I could take NyQuil, sorry "Wal-quil", which would knock me out allowing me presumably to wake up cured because, god knows, I had awaken in a pool of sweat enough times that I should be cured by morning. I digress... Guess what flavor green "Wal-quil" is? No, not mint. No, not apple. Black licorice. I cannot think of a more polarizing flavor than black licorice. You either love it or you hate it. There is no neutral in the realm of black licorice. I am in the 'hate it' camp, and downing my nightly dose of "Wal-quil" for the past week ranked up there on the miserable meter with the cold sweats and pounding headaches.

The only good thing that came out of this was having my parents take care of me for a few days. For the first several days I just stayed at my apartment, where my roommate and boyfriend kept me company. Because I was on winter break, I just couched it all week and assumed the illness would be gone by this Monday when school started. And on Sunday morning, I even woke up feeling okay (albeit clammy) so I thought I was safe to go hang out with my parents, stay there and go directly to work in the morning to begin the new semester. But by 6:00 that night, the fever came back to the tune of 103.4, which according to my dad, is .1 away from a trip to the hospital (which I interpreted as .2 away from brain damage).

Anyway, I am almost 100% now, and I am even going to attempt going to the gym tomorrow, which is probably where I caught this thing to begin with. Better wear my skull cap.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're feeling more on top of things now. Your post inspired a rash of random thoughts in me:

1) Made me smile thinking about all the tools back in high school that used to buy cough syrup to get blitzed after they failed to coerce anyone into buying them beer.

2) Happy New Year

3) Does a du rag qualify as a skull cap?

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

generic comment: glad you feel better

7:59 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Marc,
1. I can't stomach enough cough syrup to get blitzed. Even the flavors that are supposed to be palatable are completely intolerable if you ask me. I'd have to be pretty desperate to get a buzz on to do that.
2. You, too! I got your christmas card by the way. I had no idea you and Melbo were such a handsome couple! And your dog is named Jager? Is that as in Jagermeister (sp) the liquor? I didn't think mormons were allowed to drink, much less name their dog after a hard liquor. Please explain.
3. A du rag has the same impact as a skull cap in terms of how ugly it is, but it doesn't look nearly as absurd when worn indoors.

Dan, generic thanks!

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want a pic of you in your skull cap. dare you!!!!

glad yer better :)

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jäger is german for "hunter" (Jägermeister literally means "master hunter"). My mom is Swiss and my family there is german speaking so we thought it was a fitting name. Didn't occur to us that the first thought in everyone's mind would be a bitter German liqueur made from a complex blend of 56 herbs, fruits and spices.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

Glad you're feeling better.

Wal-profen. lol

I'm on team Apple.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im the "hate it" camp too. It's quite popular in this frozen waste land.

Glad you are back and feelin' better!

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wal-profen! That cracks me up. That can't be the real name. We only got a Walgreens a couple months ago, so I am not familiar.

P.S. You haven't blogged since this post! I HOPE EVERYTHING IS OKAY!!!

6:41 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Yes, I am actually finally fully better. After that post, I got sick again for a few days. I'll be back very soon with a full post! Thanks for the well wishes!

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home