22 June 2006

Last supper

I went to Target today with the intent to purchase one item- a rug pad. I ran into a familiar problem: I came home with more than I had planned. I bought the rub pad, a bike lock, two shirts (they were only $6.99), a backpack, and a bike lock. This total was $97, which isn't bad, for all I came home with, but it means I have to cancel either the haircut or the color I scheduled for next week. This will require some serious decision-making, which I may or may not have mentioned I suck at.

My boyfriend and I went for pizza tonight. We went to one of my favorite spots in Chicago, a hip pizza joint in Wicker Park called Piece. It is not "Chicago" pizza. In fact, it might even be closer to "New York" style pizza. There are lots of places that I feel have better pizza, but very few that have a hipper atmosphere. Today we were sat a table that already had six girls at it, which I didn't even know communal seating was a practice at Piece. As the hostess sat us at the table, my boyfriend and I looked at each other like "Uh... is this a mistake?" I felt like the odd-girl-out at a sorority pledge party. It was weird at first but eventually I got used to having giggling former sorority girl-types at my table. That's because I was distracted by the pizza that had arrived. Pizza could distract me from just about anything. I can eat pizza like it's my job. If I got paid by the slice, I could quit teaching tomorrow. And there I was at a table with a bunch of dainty girls who barely touched their pizza. My boyfriend likes pizza quite a lot too, so we both agreed that pizza would be part of our last meal were we facing execution. Here's the menu for my last meal:

1. Double-dough pizza with extra cheese (probably from Pete's, Rosati's or Salerno's)
2. French fries (from anywhere really but I do like a good waffle fry)
3. Grilled Cheese (from, of course, Silver Cloud)
4. Lots of Diet Coke (at this point, why Diet right?)
5. Something that tastes best when dipped into ranch dressing (which is just about anything if you ask me, but I might go with breaded fried zucchini)
6. Mozzarella sticks
7. A big old pint of this

If that doesn't look like the last supper request of a 10-year-old boy, I don't know what does.

What would be your last meal request?

14 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

Cobb Salad minus avocado from Cheesecake Factory

Cambezola cheese on Bremer's wafers

Filet Mignon from W-S Prime

Fresh strawberries

Creme Brulee

To drink I want a soda fountain Coke with really crushed ice so that each sip I'm chewing it (but not a frozen Coke) and coffee from W-S Prime...



...and, much to my shame, I also want a Sausage and Cheese Croissanwich from Burger King, followed immediately by two Tums

6:47 AM  
Blogger DLH said...

Target is an evil store, where you can NEVER buy only the things you went there for in the first place.

And my last meal -- a lobster bake

wild mushroom pasta with a light cream sauce

green beans with almonds

chocolate ganache

7:48 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Poppadums with garlic dip nibbles.

Sheek Kebab starter.

Chicken Vindaloo, Pilau rice, Bombay Aloo, Onion Bhajee, Mushroom Bhajee.

Constant supply of cobra beer throughout finishing with several large vodka shots.

I wouldn't notice 'em execute me after that.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Dwight Supremacy said...

1. A large pepperoni pizza from Mineos* or Village Pizza*
2. My mom's macaroni and cheese and meatloaf
3. Chili dogs: my aunt's chili on Ballpark beef dogs
4. The Morning After Breakfast from Pamela's* (huge buttermilk pancakes, eggs, sausage)
5. cookies, donuts with milk
6. A bacon cheeseburger and cajun fries with mayo and barbecue sauce from Five Guys.
7. My uncle's zuchinni bread.
8. Apple pie a la mode
9. Mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers and fries from Top Wing
10. Cheesesteak sub with pepperoni added
11. Strawberry yogurt and Bear Naked granola (so good)
12. Some mashed potatos
13. Cheesey grits

I could really go on ...

I instinctively crave this kind of food, which is why I used to weigh 280+ lbs!

*Pittsburgh eateries

8:55 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

E- minus the avocado? I love avocado. I don't know what cambezola cheese is, but I bet I'd like it.

z- that's a totally high maintenance list. "ganache"? I don't think they have ganache for people who are about to be executed.

fd- I knew beer would be involved. I was going to put Pinot Grigio on mine, but I don't know if they let you drink on death row. Whatever. Let's hope we don't ever find out.

Dwight, your list kills me; it's very specific. And something about zucchini bread is funny to me. Ever since I wrote my list, I can't stop thinking about cookie dough. I might order some, at which point I will gain back all the weight I've lost.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Did I tell you I found the mayan chocolate Haagen-Dazs?

To die for.

No pun intended.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Target = Evil...evil love

Last Meal
1. As many dry Sapphire martinis with sun-dried tomato-stuffed olives as I can drink.
2. Filet Mignon from South Dakota, with mashed potatoes & mushroom gravy (I don't eat beef, and am allergic to mushrooms, so I can't now)
3. Dried Mangoes from Manila
4. Grilled Cheese sandwich & homemade tomato soup
5. Pizza with extra cheese
6. Gin & Tonic
7. Chicken Athenian with Avgolemono soup & flaming cheese & baklava from Delphi (in West LA)
8. Homemade chocolate chip cookies and whole milk

And then I would explode. But it would be worth it. And in my imaginary death row, I definitely get to drink gin.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Amy, you'd love Silver Cloud, the place I mentioned on my list. They serve grilled cheese with a side of tomato soup. It's awesome. I'm not sure if it's homemade, but it's damn good. I usually add a side of tater tots if I'm feeling extra decadent.

3:29 PM  
Blogger ndheathen said...

Target is only semi-evil. Wal Mart is what the true evil is.

My least meal would be pepperoni and onion pizza, preferably from papa john's. I don't care if its a chain, I love.

I'd also need guinness.

Maybe some devil's food cake too.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

That's like us when we hit Costco... we can't seem to escape the place without spending a couple hundred.

I like the random intro on this post by the way... a little non sequitur

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because I am lactose intolerant, my last meal would be a double cheeseburger, a slice of stuffed, deep dish pizza, fettucini alfredo, and movie theatre pop-corn all washed down with a chocolate milkshake with a tin glass full of shake remnants. Holy shit that sounds good.

11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will have to check out Silver Cloud when I visit Chicago. That sounds awesome. And tater tots? Love, love, love the 'tots.

11:55 AM  
Blogger DLH said...

I really am not high maintenance usually, I swear! I figured if it was my last meal, maybe they'd help me out a bit and indulge me? I guess not. :) Good thing I'm not in prison. The disappointment I'd face.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

In North Carolina, there is a price limit on final meals, plus a geographical limit (lobster that had to be flown in from Maine would be out of the question), and I believe no alcohol is allowed.

I think that sucks.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home