27 June 2006

Brand (f***ing) loyalty

I started watching the first season of Deadwood. I love it if only because it teaches me fresh ways to incorporate the word fuck into my vocabulary, which is appreciated. More importantly, what I learned in high school is basically the extent of my knowledge of the Old West and the Gold Rush, so I like that the show is teaching me a little something about that era. While I watch it, I have my computer on my lap so I can look up the background of the characters. I knew Wild Bill Hickock was a real person, and I was pretty sure I'd heard of Calamity Jane, but I was surprised to find out that many of the characters were real people, such as Al Swearengen, Seth Bullock (hello- HOT) and EB Barnum.

Prior to my Deadwood marathon, I did some hard core cleaning yesterday. With my new roommate in the house, I had the opportunity to try out some fancy new cleaning products. What fun! She has a special toilet bowl cleaning product, an orange-scented furniture polish, even a high-tech Rubbermaid bucket. It was heaven. All of this exploration of new brands got me to thinking about brand loyalty. For example, I have two cleaning products to which I am loyal- Pledge for cleaning furniture and Soft Scrub for cleaning the bathroom. I remember the first time I went to the store to buy my own cleaning products when I got my own place in college. It was like I was on autopilot as I filled my cart; I picked all the same stuff my mom has in the house. I've since dropped my brand loyalty to glass cleaners and laundry detergents, but I can't let go of Soft Scrub or Pledge.

People are funny with their brands, and I always wonder from where these loyalties originate and when people are willing to deviate. I have lots of products that I am willing to buy generic or because they are on sale. For example, I would never buy brand name contact solution. Never. What's the point? It's all saline and some kind of "no rub" cleansing chemical that probably doesn't make any difference anyway. Razors are another thing I don't give a *fuck-all about, and I refuse to buy shaving cream because I think it's a gimmick and totally unnecessary. Deodorant is another non-issue for me, but I found out recently by surveying a few women I work with that I am alone in this. If a particular brand is on sale, I'll buy it. I don't care what it smells like, if it is a "clear solid" or if it's pH balanced for a woman. As long as it prevents me from smelling like a tourist after a long day in Disney World, I'm in.

My brand loyalties extend beyond Pledge and Soft Scrub. I'm very brand loyal to Verizon. You are probably familiar with their slogan "We Never Stop Working For You." Well, it's totally true. It's the one company I've dealt with that I can count on to accommodate my needs. All I have to do is tell them I've been a customer since the day the company existed and they'll sell me a Motorola Razr Phone (more on Motorola later) for $50, cut me a deal on text messaging, and get rid of a 411 charge if the operator was an incompetent *fucknut. In a related matter, I am also loyal to Motorola. When I ran my first Motorola phone through a washing machine and it worked when it came out, I knew this was the brand for me. I'm also loyal to Aveda, which is my newest preference. It's costly but my hair and skin have never looked better. Finally, in college, I was loyal to Bud Light, but that was only because I went to school in Milwaukee and I wanted to be a pain in the ass in a Miller town. Had I gone to St. Louis University, I probably would have been brand loyal to Miller Lite.

What are your brand loyalties? And what products are you willing to buy generic or on sale?


* A use of the word fuck I learned while watching Deadwood. Brilliant!

16 Comments:

Blogger Dwight Supremacy said...

Oh, fun ...

• Unless I'm really REALLY broke, I will only buy All Clear/Free ... if I am broke there is this watery substance in a big bottle called Sea Mist Clear/Free that I will get.
• Only Bear Naked granola.
• Ballpark beef hotdogs
• Dawn dish liquid
• Listerine (I hate when wusses complain about the burn. I like the burn!)

2:10 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Ballpark Beef dogs

Viva papertowels

Comet powder

Pledge

Windex w/ Vinegar

I'll spare you the details, but feminine products

Tab

Breyer's save for brand-specific flavors (like Mayan Chocolate Haagen Dazs, because Breyer's doesn't make Mayan Chocolate)

All clothes detergent

Dove deodorant

Garnier Fructisse shampoo

Colgate toothpaste

Lysol spray

Other than that, I'm pretty much a coupon whore.

2:55 PM  
Blogger DLH said...

Kunzler chicken dogs (while everyone is in that vein)

Mitchum deodorant (never leaves white residue, even on black clothing! a personal peeve)

7:34 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Esbee, you must be kidding... "other than that..." That's a lot of brand loyalties lady! Viva papertowels are too rich for my blood. As for fem products, I used to be that way too but now there are simply certain requirements that must be met (i.e. plastic not cardboard). There are lots of good imitations of the brand I used to prefer. Tab? Tab? I didn't even know they still made it! I'd love to go grocery shopping with you. Sounds like an adventure.

Dwight, my BF loves the burn of Listerine, too. I have to mix it with at least a Tbsp of water to even tolerate 5 seconds of it. What's "All Clear/Free"? I thought this was a fun topic, too. I was looking forward to reading all your responses.

Z, yeah, what's with the processed meat loyalties?

10:00 PM  
Blogger danielcoyne said...

I would go to the ends of the earth and sell my mother for Kiehls White Eagle Shave Cream.

And Smuckers. As a jam-aholic, I'll eat Dingleberry Preserves in a pinch, but I believe in the Smuckers.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Dwight Supremacy said...

Yeah, Listerine, burn baby burn! The BF is my kinda guy. Well, if he were really MY kind of man, you would have my sympathies. hehe

"All" is a laundry detergent. And there is a variety called "Clear/Free" without any dyes or fragrances in it.

And just like z, I have to add Mitchum deodorant too!

4:43 AM  
Blogger DLH said...

Oh and I would love more new uses of the word "fuck."
I especially enjoyed "fuck-all".
Keep 'em coming.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Oh, please. That's maybe 10% of the items I buy. Bread, pasta, bagels, yogurt, cheese, juices, bottled water, coffees, peanut butter, salad dressing, mustard, pasta sauce, pickles, cereals, crackers, waffles, etc I am easy-peasy.

And YES, they still make Tab. Apparently it's only widely available here in Cackalacky, though, where saccharine isn't any scarier than tobacco. :D

Grocery shopping with me ROCKS.

7:24 AM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

I don't really have much brand loyalty. I buy whatever has the most convincing ads and is priced most competitively. I'm sure that's not true, but I can't think of any offhand, anyway. Except if I'm going to buy a cola, it must be Coke. And Corn Flakes must be Kellogg's. But those are obvious, no?

Comment 15/20

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Sue Ellen! What about Diet Coke? You can't possibly tell me you'll drink anything diet!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Ok, ok, Uncle, you have a point there; I do PREFER Diet Coke. However, I do make exceptions for the Diet Coke preference. If I go to the store, I won't buy anything but Diet Coke. But if I am at a restaurant and I order a Diet Coke, and the waitress says, "Diet Pepsi ok?" I will drink it.

*, I don't think the Coke one is obvious. There are so whackos out there who will drink Pepsi. Corn Flakes, however, are obvious. Who wants to eat "flakes of corn"?

8:11 PM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Pepsi?! Although I hate to use these "webbreviation" things, I am ROFLMAO. Pepsi! You crack me up, SEM.

10:29 PM  
Blogger DLH said...

I do buy generic Chex, which are called Crispy Hexagons at our local store.
Same taste. And I think it's hilarious to hear my kids, including my 3-year-old, say "Can I please have some Crispy Hexagons?"

11:09 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

Wow. This is eerie. I haven't visited your site in about a week and posted this yesterday... the link I included is complete with a Deadwood reference and all.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

colgate toothpaste, oral-b toothbrush, suave shampoo, safeguard soap, arrid x-tra dry, ajax dish soap, ajax cleaner, and tide laundry detergent. I think that about covers it.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Great topic...and the weird thing is I am actually anti-globalization and branding EXCEPT I am dedicated to some brands. Spo I'm completely contradictory. I avoid franchises and chains...but some products I am so loyal to and also if they are environmentally sound or animal friendly affects my dedication.

Hellman's mayonaise
MAC make-up
Newman's Own

I like baking soda to clean with instead of Ajax or Comet type rpoducts...but then any kind of baking soda will do.

I find cleaning products make a slight difference though to Brand some are really bette rthan others, like VIM is a great product...I just try to use baking soda and bleach if I can.

Um, Omega Nutrition make senvironmental products for cleaning made from fruit and vegies...and they make awesome flax seed oil and nut butters.

I love Deadwood!!!!

Candy
http;//gnosticminx.blogspot.com/

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home