10 July 2006

OGM pet peeve

I'm probably going to offend a few people with this below rant, but I have to get it off my chest, (don't worry; it won't take long). The first time I discovered this pet peeve was probably about 10 years ago when I heard the below offense on the answering machine outgoing message of my then aunt. I've since met several people whose outgoing message has caused me the same discomfort every time I have to hear it. I won't lie to you and say that I love all of the people that do it. Most of the people that do this are fine people. A few others, however, are exactly the kind of people I would expect to do it....
It bothers me when a person says "have a nice day!" at the end of his/her outgoing message on voicemail. The most obvious problem with this closing is the complication that arises when the call comes in at nighttime. Then the 'have a nice day' is not only annoying, but also inappropriate. In addition to being time-sensitive, it's also artificially positive. I don't believe that any person could seriously want to wish a nice day to every single person that calls, especially with telemarketers now actually having the gall to leave voicemail. What if the person listening to your outgoing message is calling you for the fifth time that day to feed you a line of BS that you might be the winner of a vacation to an exotic place? Or worse, what if it's a potential employer calling to tell you they decided not to give you the job of your dreams, or a boyfriend/girlfriend calling to break up with you? Would you not regret having wished those people a good day on your outgoing message?

It's probably weird that I feel so good having gotten that off my chest.

12 Comments:

Blogger * (asterisk) said...

I can see where you're coming from. Have a nice day now. Or night.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Dwight Supremacy said...

I love irrational pet peeves! I just experienced one last night. I'm in a bowling league and there are two teams of 4, but in the ball return rack or whatever it is called, there were TEN balls! Now in a different venue, two extra balls means it is time to party, but in this instance it drives me nuts (no pun)!

Now I feel crazy. Oh well, what's new, eh?

4:46 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Interesting. I just realized that hate that too. Like when you're calling up a girl... look, I'll have a nice day if you call me back, but given that you aren't, go f--- yourself.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

*, thanks. Maybe that's how the OGM should be. "have a nice day or night, whichever one applies." It's wordy, but at least it's not annoying.

Dwight, "two extra balls means it is time to party..." Hilarious.

Dan, I'm glad I could spread my pet peeve to so many others.

6:44 AM  
Blogger DLH said...

My related pet peeve is someone who has a rambling OGM.
And everyone says the same damn thing so why keep saying it??? And OBVIOUSLY you aren't there right now!
Just the bare essentials please! Give me the damn BEEP ALREADY.

7:57 AM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Sue Ellen, just in case you didn't find what you were looking for, allow me to oblige.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny. I fall victim to leaving that message! Oops! I find it a little nicer than just saying 'thanks', but now I see how a simple 'thanks' is much more professional/time sensitive.

Thanks for showing me the light. :)

4:41 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

God bless you, *. God bless you.

Z, I was going to add that to my rant, but I wanted to keep it short (like my OGM).

Mappy, I'm glad I could show you the light. Now go re-record your OGM.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

Sounds like someone needs to get themselves on the Do Not Call List.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Bone said...

That's why I continue to stick with "Believe it or not, Bone isn't at home, please leave a message at the beep..."

Eight years and still going strong.

Oh, where... could... I... beeeee?

8:48 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Marc, :)

Pie, I totally agree. Nothing like a little OGM improv.

Bone, I hope you're serious about having that on your voicemail. Ahhh George...

3:16 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

gentelman hobbs, thanks for stopping by!

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home