12 July 2006

Superman Schmuperman

I saw Superman yesterday. I hated it, and I knew I would. I went to see it only because that is what my boyfriend wanted to see.
I knew I'd hate it because I hate Superman because Superman is unrealistic. Obviously he's unrealistic, right? He's a fucking superhero! But still, I prefer to see some kind of vulnerability in my superheroes. Oh sure there's Superman's vulnerability to Kryptonite, but seriously, that's one minor vulnerability and the only person who seems to be able to get his hands on it is Lex Luthor, who is Superman's only enemy because everyone LOVES Superman! Superman can do anything, and for that, I hate him. In the movie, he flies into the core of the fucking Earth and actually LIFTS and ENTIRE landmass out of the ocean (a landmass laced with the supposedly formidable kryptonite by the way) and LAUNCHES it into space. There's nothing this man can't do. And, by the way, the Superman of this film can actually come in contact with Kryptonite without losing power, whereas the Superman of Smallville can't so much as be in the room with it without causing him to double over in what appears to be extraordianry pain. And, of course, there's the fact that Clark Kent is so obviously Superman. Glasses? That's it? Everyone knows what Superman looks like because he's banging the only female news reporter in Metropolis, and his face is completely exposed when he swoops in to save the day. He doesn't even wear a hat much less a mask! And I'm expected to believe that putting on a pair of khakis and nerdy frames is enough to fool anyone, much less Lois? Which brings me to my final point: Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane was intolerable. She might be the worst actress ever.
My favorite superhero is Batman because he's human, a little dark and disturbed, usually hot and drives a cool car. Who is your favorite superhero and why?

21 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

It's clear you didn't have the oh-so-important "nostalgia factor" heading into this one.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

i've seen all the superman movies, but I guess I don't feel nostalgic for him. plus, a good movie doesn't need to rely on nostalgia to be good (ie the newest batman- it was good independent of all the other batman films).

8:40 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Aquaman. No question.

Did you know the Wonder Twins were modeled after Donnie and Marie Osmond?

8:42 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Aquaman is my boyfriend's favorite too. I don't get it, but I can respect that.

And, now, I did not know that.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess he's more of a super villain, but I have to go with the He Man legend Stinkor. His power was that he stunk to high heaven. That's it. Just really, really smelly. If you put his toy in an air proof box it would lock in his stink. That's no lie.

9:02 PM  
Blogger AdamMac said...

Whose Aquaman??? I feel so dumb now :P

Gotta love spiderman though... He is just the total package, some poor innocent teenage boy, bitten by a radioactive spider and given super mutant powers!! I love its coz its such a believable story... NOT!!!

2:08 AM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

I think Spidey rocks. Always had a soft spot for him, ever since I was a little lad.

Why? I guess because I had that nerdy bookish thing going on, and anyone can get bitten by a spider at any time (as opposed to being born on Krypton or getting blasted with Gamma rays). And who knows, maybe said spider has been in contact with radioactivity.

And Spider-Man is set in New York; not "Gothan City" or "Metropolis", but honest-to-goodness, no-need-for-noms-de-plumes NYC.

PS: Now Wife and I are sat here singing Costanza's OGM. Gaaagghhh! That is so classic.

2:17 AM  
Blogger Dwight Supremacy said...

Thank YOU! I have never seen Kate Bosworth in anything, but for some reason I HATE her! Oh my god, do I hate her.

Anyway ... Catwoman is my favorite (although I know she's more of a villain). Michelle Puh-feiffer's Catwoman from "Batman Returns," more specifically. I mean, who else could it be. The skin-tight vinyl. The whip. The troubled soul. That's so ... ME!

Batman comes in at no. 2. (Again, the black rubber/leather comes into play. Heheh.)

And The Wonder Twins fall in there somewhere too!

Oh, and Wonder Woman! (I totally used to imitate her spin and made the motion of deflecting bullets with my bracelets as a kid!)

Goodness, I'm so gay!

4:59 AM  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Radioactive Man 'cause Bart loves him.

Wolverine 'cause he slices 'em up with those freaky claws.

Mystique 'cause I have a fetish for weird blue women.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

4D, maybe you just have a thing for super models. I love wolverine too.

Dwight, I was a big wonderwoman fan, too when I was a kid. I was her for halloween 3 years in a row (topped only by Madonna who I was for halloween about 16 times).

*, Adam, Spidey's okay I guess. Still, he's no batman.

5:59 AM  
Blogger DLH said...

Batman, most definitely.
All black? Can't go wrong. He is sexy as hell.
And I love the whole Gotham City darkness thing too.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Will said...

For sheer thoughtfulness, you can't beat Captain Planet. He's going to take pollution down to zero, you know.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Will, I'm not sure about what to say about that. I think Cpt. Planet is a sorry excuse for a superhero.

Z, yeah, the all black thing is hot.

12:18 PM  
Blogger ndheathen said...

I'm going with Wolverine (its a sideburns thing), that and I'm partial to a lot of the X-men in general since they're pretty human as well.

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite superheroes are:

Batman
Wolverine
Captain Jack Sparrow (what? He's a man. He's super. He's hot. Plus, he has the amazing power of turning my knees to rubber.)

4:24 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I'm a fan of Wolverine, too, ND. I think it's a biceps thing.

Amy, I was just saying to someone that Johnny Depp is getting hotter with age. And I don't mean he's getting "distinguished" looking. He's just plain hot. It's incredible.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

When I was a kid I used to spin around in circles trying desperately to transform into Wonder Woman. I'm a guy, so now you know I'm posting anonymously.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Dr Ken, you did not do an anon post that time. You've been outed!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Beakerz said...

just saw superman tonight. I can't even blog about it because what's to say other than C.Reeves should be psyched he never saw this pile o'C***

Batman rocks the house! Why? pft. No answer necessary in my book

RadioActive Man is a cute answer though

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of your Batman over Superman opinion might subconciously stem from the the Gotham:Metropolis - Chicago:NYC analogy. Batman essentially being from your hometown and being the more internal brooding "I hate that skinny bitch with the big diamond" type.
I'm still a Batman guy myself, I mean GADGETS hello!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

It's funny that you used the word brooding to describe me. Anyway, I like your analogy. I think I'll use that in future superhero discussions, which I'm not entirely certain will ever take place.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home