03 August 2006

Tomato To-MAH-to

I am off to St. Louis this weekend to visit my friends from college. The five of us girls haven't been together in about a year, so it should be a good time. The bad news is that I am going to be a 9th wheel all weekend. My boyfriend couldn't get the weekend off (something about his district being "the murder capital of Chicago" and it being "short-handed"), so I will be the only one there without a companion. I should probably be used to that situation, as it happens all the time, but I still kind of hate it.

Most people think I'm a "bad driver." I don't agree, but yesterday was one of those days that make those accusations difficult to refute. I was in a big hurry to get somewhere (as usual) and I took a corner too fast. There was a very high, sharp curb, and, as I turned the corner, it literally JUMPED out and ATTACKED my front driver's side tire! I've never seen anything quite like it. My poor little tire was mangled. I keep telling people "I got a flat" but really, my boyfriend (who changed my tire in the extreme heat) insists I "caused a flat." Whatever. "You say tomato, I say to-MAH-to" as they say. I wonder how many people out there are bad drivers but won't admit it. I mean, I would wager that nearly 80% of the people with whom I share the road are awful drivers....
Are you one of them? Or are you a good driver?

This turn of events could have ruined my weekend plans. Fortunately, one of my friends lives near my parents in the suburbs, and she offered to let me drive with her and her husband, so my lack of transportation didn't render that trip impossible. I hope to return with some good stories, or at least some new pictures of little Charlie.



11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which part of the Lou are you headed to?
I just don't want to be surprised if I see a woman walking around wearing an inappropriate top. (And quite possibly ankle killing heels)

5:16 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Wow, Julian, you have really caught up on my archives! You must have a lot of time on your hands.
You know, I can't remember where she lives. I just know her mailing address is St. Louis, but she calls it something else when she says where she lives. Maybe it's like someone saying they live in Lincoln Park or Bucktown in Chicago. Whatever. You probably don't have to worry about seeing me prancing around town in a skanky top and heels. First of all, she just had a baby like 3 weeks ago, so we'll probably keep it low-key (we're so old). Secondly, I packed away the inappropriate tops until the next round of parent-teacher conferences.
And I just went to your myspace page. WTF are you doing reading the blog of an old lady like me?

8:57 PM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Dan, do it! Do it! Then we'll get to see you on the news. Hmmm... I don't know if I'd recognize you though, unless they use a baby picture.

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're an ageist. I see how it is. Yes the city of St. Louis has 79 neighborhoods that it officially recognizes. The county of St. Louis (which does not contain St. Louis City) has 91 unique municipalities. And, everyone who lives in one of these areas claims St. Louis to outsiders but once inside, you live in Kirkwood or Tower Grove South or some other area.
Anyway, the reason I read your blog is because you seem to be just as obsessed with Seinfeld as I am (I have every episode recorded on my computer) and I guess I didn't notice how close to the END you were.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I see. I do know she lives in St. Louis city proper, but she grew up in Webster Groves and her husband in Kirkwood. St. Louis has such beautiful suburbs; it's so hilly compared to Chicago.
I do love Seinfeld. I TiVo every episode that airs. I save the classics. It's really a shame that I don't own the DVDs. My parents own them though so when I'm feeling the need to watch one, I can always visit them. My whole family is Seinfeld obsessed. And I have a friend who is even more obsessed than I am. He and I cannot have a conversation w/o it ending up in a Seinfeld reference. Another guy friend of mine and I agreed that we wouldn't even consider dating someone that didn't find Seinfeld funny.

11:36 AM  
Blogger ndheathen said...

I think I'm a good driver, but that's because in CT, we hated all the Massholes who didn't know how to drive.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

1) Flying solo sucks

2) If you're implying that you are a bad driver who won't admit it AND you're claiming that 80% of the drivers on the road are awful drivers... where would you say you fall in that 80%?

9:43 PM  
Blogger DLH said...

I am a good driver in that I am very aware, use my signals, don't drive super slow, etc etc.
I am a menace, in that I am impatient and am always in a hurry, have a love of speed, and a general disdain for that 80 percent of people you mentioned.
So it may be best to ask the people who share the bypass with me each day to find out what kind of driver I am.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

A day of silence... I hope Sue Ellen hasn't gone and gotten herself in an automobile wreck now.

7:40 PM  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

I'm a great driver.

1:26 AM  
Blogger rudraksh said...

Hey,

Thanks for sharing this blog its very helpful to implement in our work




Regards.


coord set

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home